Wet suit storage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am quite pleased with the two new wet suits I just bought from my lds. However, I'm getting conflicting opinions on how best to store them. Folded up in my gear bag or hanging. Any thoughts and the reasons behind them would be appreciated. Thanks.

I am quite pleased with the two new wet suits I just bought from my lds. However, I'm getting conflicting opinions on how best to store them. Folded up in my gear bag or hanging. Any thoughts and the reasons behind them would be appreciated. Thanks.

Yeah Tobin, what's the answer???

Always hung mine up....

Any creases caused at the folds will break down the material at the crease. You can store them flat with nothing on top of it or hang them with a wide (preferably padded) hanger so they take less space.

My preference is to hang them with some of the commercially available wide wetsuit hangers, but I have padded the hangers with some close cell foam pipe insulation. You can find the pipe insulation in any hardware store.

The important thing is to avoid creases and to store them in a dry, cool, clean place, out of any sun light. Preferably with some ventilation to make sure they are dry. I would never leave them in a bag folded.

Hung for sure. In a dark, dry comfortable place. Use broad hangers to distribute the weight. Otherwise the weight of the suit will crush the material along the shoulder over time. You can get them from the dive shop and sometimes find them elsewhere. For our lighter suits I marry 2 of those plastic tubular hangers with electrical tape and cover the top with that split foam 3/4" pipe insulation.

They will become a permanently creased mess in your gear bag. Every crease represents cell damage and that means lost insulation.

Pete

Thanks for the answers -- my wet suits are now hanging in a cool dry space.

One additional question then, how long does it take that particularly flavorful odor of new neoprene to go away? I don't mind it so much (smells like a dive shop which is a happy place) but my wife isn't too keen on the smell.

One additional question then, how long does it take that particularly flavorful odor of new neoprene to go away?

That's hard to say.

Good luck when it starts to smell like dead bait or urine. :11:

Pete

Any creases caused at the folds will break down the material at the crease.

Forgive me if I take this to and extreme - it's not intended to, I'm just curious. Does this mean that any crease for any period of time will break down the material? In other words, when traveling should my suit be laying flat if possible or will a few hours in my dive bag make a difference?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom