Wet suit fit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sdk8505

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I will be doing my certification dives this weekend and I am looking at wetsuits. How snug should a wetsuit be? The one I borrowed is difficult to get on, which I think is normal, but it's a little snug. I am not sure if this is the way it should feel or if it is just because I am not used to wearing something as close fitting as a wet suit.

Thanks for any advice.

Did you consider renting a wet suit from the dive shop you are getting certified through ? Or have you bought all of your gear except the wet suit ? The dive shop should have a range of sizes to try, and a suggestion on how much 'warmth' you will need.

---------- Post Merged at 09:09 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:09 PM ----------

Last edited:
It should hug you, but not squeeze you.

Just snug enough that water and/or air don't move around ... not so tight that you feel constricted or confined. And bear in mind that every brand, even different models of the same brand, fit(s) differently. There is no substitute for trying it on.

Agreed..snug but not like a boa constrictor wrapped around you squeezing the snot out of you. My first time thru cert my suit (7mm Farmer John) was soooo tight I could hardly breathe. Not a good thing at all. Now I have an AquaLung SolaFX one piece that fits like a second skin but I can move in it. It loosens up a bit underwater to make for a non-constricting fit.

It should hug you, but not squeeze you.

Just snug enough that water and/or air don't move around ... not so tight that you feel constricted or confined. And bear in mind that every brand, even different models of the same brand, fit(s) differently. There is no substitute for trying it on.

Agree completely. Just tight enough that it's a pain in the neck to get on, and when wet it's a pain in the $&^*(%g @$^&(%e to get on.

Bear in mind that a 3mm suit will be more stretchy and could provide a better fit than the same size 5mm suit. In this case the 3mm suit could be warmer than the 5mm.

This is not always the case, but shows that you should get something that is a good fit, rather than believing that the thickness is the only factor to consider.

You should also consider combinations of hooded vests etc. that will provide you with the best fit, thermal protection and buoyancy characteristics.

In Cape Town the water is about 10-15 decrees centigrade which means that I needed a suit that's at least 5-6.5mm thick. I opted for the Mares 2nd Skin, and I must say that it feels like it was custom made for me. Getting into it is a bit tight initially, but as the correct parts of the suit align to their corresponding limbs, it almost "snaps" into place and after pulling that zipper up, it feels like I'm in a superhero outfit!

I think that's how you know. If you don't feel like a superhero, the fit isn't right :D

In Cape Town the water is about 10-15 decrees centigrade which means that I needed a suit that's at least 5-6.5mm thick. I opted for the Mares 2nd Skin, and I must say that it feels like it was custom made for me. Getting into it is a bit tight initially, but as the correct parts of the suit align to their corresponding limbs, it almost "snaps" into place and after pulling that zipper up, it feels like I'm in a superhero outfit!

I think that's how you know. If you don't feel like a superhero, the fit isn't right :D

That's exactly how I feel and a great way to describe it. My SolaFX feels like it is part of me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom