Wet Suit Slightly Small or Slightly Large

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

topher10

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
There look to be some Memorial Day sales on Wetsuits, so I am considering a new suit for my 20year old son. Specifically Henderson 3mm Thermoprene because there are many size options. He is 6'3" 175lbs and has been renting, but the rentals often do not fit well since a standard large or medium do not really work.

The issue is that at 6'3" 175lbs he is almost exactly on the line between a Medium-Tall (MT) and a Large-Tall (LT). MT is 160-180, while LT is 180-200. So MT fits now, but I expect him to gain a little weight with time. When I doubt I would think to get the smaller one, and I guess we can send it back if it doesn't fit...

If you buy from scuba.com, they have a great return policy that essentially let’s you swap until it fits.

If you buy from scuba.com, they have a great return policy that essentially let’s you swap until it fits.
I was actually looking at scuba.com, due to Memorial Day sale: https://www.scuba.com/p-hndtj3m/henderson-3mm-thermoprene-mens-full-wetsuit
The MT is backordered but LT is in stock. Its good to see about their return policy.
They also have a package that includes hood, gloves, and boots. A few other places offering somewhat similar sales.

Another idea is to get the larger one but wear a vest or hooded vest until he fills out. He tends to get cold because he has no fat.

I am also going to measure his chest and waist to see how that compares to the size chart.

Thanks for the advice so far!!

I am also going to measure his chest and waist to see how that compares to the size chart.
I wear M bottoms but due to shoulders\chest I generally need a L or occasionally XL in tops. Measuring chest and shoulders vs waist can give you some better guidance.

Cut style varies between brands too. My Waterproof fits me well, but the ScubaPros seemed to be cut for marathoners.

I got two Thermoprenes from them in 7 and 3mm. Wasn’t sure what size I should get. Their online help with sizing was excellent and they both fit me well. Can’t speak for return policy.

There look to be some Memorial Day sales on Wetsuits, so I am considering a new suit for my 20year old son. Specifically Henderson 3mm Thermoprene because there are many size options. He is 6'3" 175lbs and has been renting, but the rentals often do not fit well since a standard large or medium do not really work.

The issue is that at 6'3" 175lbs he is almost exactly on the line between a Medium-Tall (MT) and a Large-Tall (LT). MT is 160-180, while LT is 180-200. So MT fits now, but I expect him to gain a little weight with time. When I doubt I would think to get the smaller one, and I guess we can send it back if it doesn't fit...
When is he going to use the suit? Now or sometime down the road.

If starting now, I would say get the slightly tighter suit. Get another suit if/when he outgrows it. If later, wait until he needs it and buy accordingly.

TBH, with 3mm the fit isn't quite so critical as it would be with 7mm etc. But the best fit (snug but not too snug), will be the most efficient suit all things being equal.

Yes, he would be using it now. We are hoping to do some diving next month. I agree with others that snug is better than too loose, and that we should buy for the moment and let the future take care of itself. I think his waist is a 33 or 34, which is correct for the Medium. The only thought would be to wear a vest to help fill it out, but maybe that is doing extra to correct for something that could be avoided. If there is a reasonable return policy then its less of a concern.

I appreciate the feedback.

Yes, he would be using it now. We are hoping to do some diving next month. I agree with others that snug is better than too loose, and that we should buy for the moment and let the future take care of itself. I think his waist is a 33 or 34, which is correct for the Medium. The only thought would be to wear a vest to help fill it out, but maybe that is doing extra to correct for something that could be avoided. If there is a reasonable return policy then its less of a concern.

I appreciate the feedback.
If that's the direction you're headed, I think the only concern is so tight it complicates movement or breathing. (The flip side is that a suit that's too loose will be cold.)

What's the thickness of the suit? If it's 7 mm, tightness is likely more of a problem than on a 3 mm.

But keeping in mind the following things that will change:

1. The suit gets squeeze (and thus loosens up) at depth.
2. The suit will grow with age.
3. Your son will grow with age. Bioprene aside, I'd expect him to have more muscle mass at 26 than he does at 21.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom