Wet Suit Fit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wscato

Registered
Reaction score
Just wondering how tight a wet suit should fit? I can fit in an Xl with a little effort to get it zipped up or when I try on an XXL it's a little loose in the upper legs and zips up real easy in the back.

wscato:
Just wondering how tight a wet suit should fit? I can fit in an Xl with a little effort to get it zipped up or when I try on an XXL it's a little loose in the upper legs and zips up real easy in the back.

It sounds like suit #1 (XL) may be the one

Here's a recycled answer of mine from another forum:

I say you should have full range of motion, arms up, down and to the side. The suit should not hold your arms up. The suit must NOT help you exhale, I had one like that for a few skin-dives and it's very apparent if you just get in the water for a skin-dive. You should be able to bend over and touch your toes ( or do as close as without the suit) without fear that you're going to blow the back door off the thing. The wrists must not be so tight that they bring on numbness or other neural problems.

Meanwile it should be a very close fit with a hint of noticable compression. it will loosen some with use but you don't want to die getting it there.

There's nothing wrong with getting a buddy to help you zip up as a convenience and so you know the zip seal flap is laying right. If it's impossible for you to do it I'd be warry.

If it's an olympic feat to get into it that's no fun either. Get the knees just right and start rolling up. If you're sweaty or the suit has arm seals some suit snot can relieve the cliing and ease punching through the sleeves. Suit snot is usualy 1 part cheap hair conditioner (consider fragrance carefully, vanilla is safe) and 2 parts tap water in a pump spray bottle.

Pete

I've always used borrowed suits. The one I'm looking at is a one piece with a zipper in the back.

That's actually a great question. I own both a 3 mm and a 7 mm, both in XL. The 3 mm is a Henderson hyperstretch and fits like a charm. The other is an Akona and is a ****** to put on. I'm sweating by the time it's halfway on and need help to pull the zipper, once I do finally get in. Don't even get me started about the arm and leg seals. I'm thinking Akona's idea of XL is different than Henderson's. Any thoughts or suggestions?
T

ScubaThor:
That's actually a great question. I own both a 3 mm and a 7 mm, both in XL. The 3 mm is a Henderson hyperstretch and fits like a charm. The other is an Akona and is a ****** to put on. I'm sweating by the time it's halfway on and need help to pull the zipper, once I do finally get in. Don't even get me started about the arm and leg seals. I'm thinking Akona's idea of XL is different than Henderson's. Any thoughts or suggestions?
T

Sounds like the wrong 7mm suit and now you understand why the common wisdom is to try before you buy. Otherwise find an online dealer that's return friendly and be prepared to do return shipping and lose time. Buying a wet-suit is not the same as getting new underwear at Wal-Mart. The heavier suits are less forgiving but they all need to fit right.

Pete

There are a myriad of individual thoughts on how a wet suit should fit.

My personal position is that the suit should put a slight squeeze upon all body surfaces covered.

Any time there is a loose area between the suit and the body there is the probability of higher volumes of water exchange. The suit needs to fit the body closely in order to prevent the exchange of water.

In so many cases the suit is purchased to fit the torso. The torso, in many cases, being out of proportion to wrists and ankles will cause the diver to require a suit that does not function properly due to size requirement differences between the torso and the sealing areas (wrists and ankles). The increase size reuirement often times will result in excess material in the elbow, knee and crotch areas - another area for pooling.

If an off the shelf, standard size does not fit CORRECTLY I advise biting the bullet and purchasing a custom fitted suit.

If the suit does not fit correctly, it will not work correctly.

Substantial monies have already been outlayed to become a diver, one may as well spend the extra little bit required to enhance the diving pleasure and to prevent any serious incidents caused by lack of proper thermal/exposure protection.

the K

spectrum:
Sounds like the wrong 7mm suit and now you understand why the common wisdom is to try before you buy. Otherwise find an online dealer that's return friendly and be prepared to do return shipping and lose time. Buying a wet-suit is not the same as getting new underwear at Wal-Mart. The heavier suits are less forgiving but they all need to fit right.

Pete

Agreed. I don't buy my undies at Wal-Mart though..... :)

Back
Top Bottom