West Palm Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonFrank:
If memory serves when were were diving Vicky's old OP did we not get 45 minutes on Air? I really can't remember, and the Puter is at home?

I would not mind them limiting it to 45 minutes air in the 55' range... Not sure what to do with those on Nitrox...

Hey Ron, you weren't on my old boat that day, you were on the Temptation out of Jupiter. There's a huge difference with BT's from Jupiter to Palm Beach. Jupiter you were diving 80+ feet. In Palm Beach, the average dive is 60 feet, although there are sites that get much deeper.

Everyone has their own rules about dive times. As one of the DM's on the minnow, I can confirm that yes we do limit the air divers to a total of 35 minutes and the nitrox user a total of 50 mintues on dive one, but as I'm sure you'll recall, dive two you are able to max out your bottom time if using a computer. If you want to stay down longer, get certified for Nitrox. Our Owner's put safety first. As stated before, Kelly and Mick did just take over the SS Minnow and are still making changes. Both of these guys are awesome diver Instructors who want people to have fun and stay safe. My suggestion would be to talk to one of them in person if you have any concerns, just remember, they are the only two people on that boat that can change the rules.

FWIW....Keep in mind, most of the dive op's in Palm Beach DO put caps on your BT, most of them are exactly like the Minnow's

I did like the setup on the back of the Minnow where you get to "Shamu" your way onto the platform.

This is the only OP I have heard of that would limit one to only :30 on air. I used air the second day and pretended it was nitrox just so I wouldnt pay them 10 per Nitrox fill for the priviledge of a :45 minute dive. Saved some money that way.

I will definately call before I book with any of these guys in WPB. I was on a trip to Pompano, but it got killed by Kat the other day, and we were going out with South Florida Divers, they have an excellent rep...

Now I am going to Pompano on the 9, 10, 11 th of Sept. as we had to reschedule.

Hozer

Ray on Narcosis never mentioned any dive time limits. He would drop me off with my single 180 or old twinned 80's, mark me on the GPS, then disappear and drop everyone else. Then when I was done, he'd come get me after a while. I only had to have someone else radio him once.

cewarbin:
I used air the second day and pretended it was nitrox just so I wouldnt pay them 10 per Nitrox fill for the priviledge of a :45 minute dive. Saved some money that way.

Wow, your my dream buddy! That a pretty smart practice that I would discourage any new diver reading this thread to avoid. The limits are set for a reason and it's not to tick you off. You had 35 mintues surface to surface on dive one if you were using air, and then were able to dive your computer on dive two. I don't see the problem. You lying about your gas mix to save money and extend BT really upsets me to the point that I'm ALMOST speechless. :11:

The Minnow was still doing 35 mintue air dives last time I was on her. Call Diving Solutions, A1A Palm Beach dive charters, Pura Vida, ask them what they limit their air divers to. I promise you that Ray from Narcosis doesn't give everyone the same privledge as he gave Tom (nor should he, Tom is a well seasoned dive Instructor with countless amout of dives under he's belt).
If you'd like to be dropped and left to fend for yourself in every way you could possible imagine, I can give you the number to a dive shop out of Jupiter that would be happy to take you out... Heck, they'll even take you to places like the Hole in the Wall (you can see 140feet) and let you dive any type of profile with whatever gas mix your little heart wants to.. Shoot me over a pm if you want their number.

baitedstorm:
Wow, your my dream buddy! That a pretty smart practice that I would discourage any new diver reading this thread to avoid. The limits are set for a reason and it's not to tick you off. You had 35 mintues surface to surface on dive one if you were using air, and then were able to dive your computer on dive two. I don't see the problem. You lying about your gas mix to save money and extend BT really upsets me to the point that I'm ALMOST speechless. :11:

Well, what I was saying is that I had two steel 95's with nitrox the first day and only did a :45 minute dive with it, leaving about 1600 pounds in the tank. The second day I used the same tank with air and did a :45 minute dive with air, leaving about the same amount in the tank. All well within no deco limits both ways. Saved 20 bucks the second and third days by using just air. If I would have told the OP this, I would have gotten :30 min dives with air. Why is this so upsetting??? Most of the group I was with did the same thing.The depths here were 50-60. On a wreck dive we did about the same time at 80-90 fsw, Why would they have the same limits on much deeper dive??We didnt practice any unsafe diving, and had plenty long enough SI time. So essentialy you would have me tell the OP I had air, and limit my time to :30 or dive nitrox for an extra 20 bucks and dive :45 minutes??? :11: :11ztongue

If I made an incorrect statement earlier about the dive charter in question, I am sorry.

Limits on bottom times are dependent on the depth of the dive and the mix of the gas in your tank. I understand those limits, but arbitrary limits in order to make schedules are a no-no in my book and if it happens, that's the last time I use the operation.

Being less than honest about your mixture is not excusable, it's also dangerous.

baitedstorm:
Hey Ron, you weren't on my old boat that day, you were on the Temptation out of Jupiter. There's a huge difference with BT's from Jupiter to Palm Beach. Jupiter you were diving 80+ feet. In Palm Beach, the average dive is 60 feet, although there are sites that get much deeper.

Hey Vicki,

Yes we were on the Temptation on Sunday (great trip), but you DM'd for us the previous day at WPB!!

I did not rush home and check my log book for BT's. I guess if I dive there again, I'll have to try and find boats that allow more BT, 30 minutes is a bit short, but I'd also have to check the tables.

L8R,

Hey Ron, my bad..... you are right!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom