West Palm Beach in March

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am also looking at taking my 2 Jr.OW divers to West Palm for spring break since Bonaire closed up again. Are there any specific dives that they would think are awesome? They both were interested in seeing the turtles, and my son said he wants to dive Blue Heron.

How is the water temperature in March? Is prevailing visibility relatively good?(trying to watch two excited teenagers at the same time!)

I am also looking at taking my 2 Jr.OW divers to West Palm for spring break since Bonaire closed up again. Are there any specific dives that they would think are awesome? They both were interested in seeing the turtles, and my son said he wants to dive Blue Heron.

How is the water temperature in March? Is prevailing visibility relatively good?(trying to watch two excited teenagers at the same time!)

Mid 70s most likely. Vis is highly variable but tends to be good that time of year. You can expect 30-50' and it's frequently much better. It is rarely significantly worse than that but it can happen.

@Harrisb411, I've only dove the deeper stuff on charter dives, so I'm not familiar with the shallower sites that would be good for you jr. OW divers. In this thread, both myself and @JimBlay, have given some recommendations for good shops in the area. Give them a call and they'll be happy to make suggestions for sites that are appropriate for your younger ones! And of course, BHB will be perfect for them. Just be sure that you plan your dive to coincide with high tide to avoid the currents!

Are there any specific dives that they would think are awesome? They both were interested in seeing the turtles, and my son said he wants to dive Blue Heron.

The sites off of Palm Beach proper south of the Lake Worth inlet (Breakers is the general name) are in the 50-60' range so those would be good sites for you. Also by March you will have a good chance of seeing Loggerhead or Green turtles on every dive.

Hi @Harrisb411

The reefs in Boynton Beach are the shallowest. The west facing/inside reefs are 50 something feet on top and 60-65 feet in the sand. The operators in BB do not put guides in the water. Each diver or group takes a flag. I could give you the name of a operator with excellent guides if you want.

West Palm has some shallower reefs as well as deeper. Ops in West Palm put in a guide with a flag. The reefs in Jupiter are on the deeper side, they also put in a guide.

Edit: see @JimBlay above re West Palm

Thanks everyone. We are trying to put together a decent dive vacation after our original trip cancelled and this looks promising.

The OP needs to be aware that Calypso is one of the few charters in the area that practices shark feeding on some of their charters. Perhaps the OP is perfectly fine with that practice. Some of us are not. I refuse to do business with any charter operator that engages is shark feeding. Everyone needs to make that decision for themselves. I just want the OP to be informed.

As to putting a competent guide in the water with you who tows the flag and ensures that you hit the planned sites ... all of the West Palm boats I listed to do that ... Walkers, Pura Vida, Narcosis. This isn't anything unique to Calypso. The guides on all of these boats are top notch.

The guy with the flag is never lost. I'd carry my own.

Hi @Harrisb411

The reefs in Boynton Beach are the shallowest. The west facing/inside reefs are 50 something feet on top and 60-65 feet in the sand. The operators in BB do not put guides in the water. Each diver or group takes a flag. I could give you the name of a operator with excellent guides if you want.

West Palm has some shallower reefs as well as deeper. Ops in West Palm put in a guide with a flag. The reefs in Jupiter are on the deeper side, they also put in a guide.

Edit: see @JimBlay above re West Palm
There are plenty of really nice 30' reefs, especially from Boca and further South

The guy with the flag is never lost. I'd carry my own.

I always have two DSMBs. I’m never lost. Sometimes I stay with the guide, sometimes I shoot my DSMB & come up on my own. The boat is always right there. That’s one of the really nice things about drift diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom