West Palm Beach in March

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Redfoot

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Trying to plan a getaway in mid-March to do some diving, and from researching here it seems WPB may be a good fit. I have read quite a few threads, and appreciate all of the great information, but was hoping for some more specifics.

Flight/Lodging: Flying Detroit to PBI is relatively cheap, so that makes it even more attractive. I also have some Marriott points/nights to burn and it looks like there are several options in the area.

Are most of the Singer Island hotels within walking distance to the marina? Or short drive?

I have just over 60 dives, with over 40 in the Caribbean and the balance in and around Michigan. SSI open water with Nitrox certification.

I would like to get more practice/instruction with drift diving and SMB deployment, so would gladly pay for private guide to get more comfortable.

Would also see a few wrecks. Turtles another big interest, especially loggerheads as I have never seen one on the wild.

Any recommendations on operators/hotels or other tips/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I do not believe the hotels are walking distance, but it's a very short drive. If you are staying on singer island, Pura Vida is right there and their boat and staff are nice. If my memory is correct, it's a 12 pack with double christmas tree ladders and no shade on the back deck. In March, I'd be fine without the shade, just use good sunscreen (reef safe!) and/or a hat.

While you are there, you can plan to see if there are any days with an afternoon tide, so you can dive on the boat in the morning, then an afternoon at blue heron bridge. Even if you are mostly looking to see turtles, everyone should dive the bridge atleast once in their life.
www.divebhb.com

Yes, correct, Singer Island is not really walkable to the marina. In particular, this is especially true since you need to bring your dive gear to the boat. From Pura Vida or Force E's shop, it's maybe a 5 minute drive though. Pura Vida has two boats and they are running them at a lowered capacity to increase spacing among divers.

I've never hired a guide, but Pura Vida does commonly put DMs in the water and I'm guessing they would be happy to help you out with a guide; give them a call. You can probably find some nice hotels in WP, but I prefer to find an AirBnB. Especially now with covid, I prefer to cook my own food, so I look for an AirBnB with a full kitchen. Given your hotel points, I can see where it would be tempting to save some money and go that route though.

There's a good chance you'll see Loggerheads in March. There are several wrecks in the area, too. Nitrox is a must. Some operators may also require you to have an advanced open water cert (or dive with a private guide, if not). It depends on the dive and the operator but best to call ahead to find out.

A couple good operators around Singer Island include Pura Vida and Walker's Dive Charters. Force-E Scuba in Riviera Beach does not operate their own boats but they can help get you on a local boat and they're an SSI shop if you wanted to get SSI instruction. They would also be a good place to go for info on diving the Blue Heron Bridge (and tanks and weight). I highly recommend diving the Blue Heron Bridge while your down here. It's world renowned for a reason.

I'd also suggest at least one boat trip in Jupiter if you're renting a car. Jupiter Dive Center and Jupiter Scuba Diving are two good operators.

Are most of the Singer Island hotels within walking distance to the marina? Or short drive?
Walking distance NO, Short drive YES

I would like to get more practice/instruction with drift diving and SMB deployment, so would gladly pay for private guide to get more comfortable.
You can certainly hire a guide. Force-E or Pura Vida can set you up. But you don't really need to. The Palm Beach boats put a guide in the water with the main group. You can then ascend up the flag line with the guide or shoot your bag for practice. Either is fine.

Would also see a few wrecks. Turtles another big interest, especially loggerheads as I have never seen one on the wild.
Palm Beach has the Corridor Wreck Treck (a series of 4-5 wrecks) as well as the Princess Anne. All are drifted and great dives. The loggerheads are already coming back into town, especially the males. There will be even more by March. You should see Loggerheads, Greens and possibly one of the young Hawksbills that live in the area.

Any recommendations on operators/hotels or other tips/ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Pura Vida, Narcosis and Walkers are all great boats. Pura Vida and Force-E are both great shops. Can't go wrong with any of them. Make sure you do at least one dive at Blue Heron Bridge while you are here. It's RIGHT THERE! You may want to hire a guide or find one of us locals to dive with for diving the bridge for the first time.

I'm going to recommend Calypso Dive Charters and I'll tell you why. It's small groups, maximum of 6 divers, and they put a diveguide in the water with you. We went diving with them last month and the dive guide Lauren was extremely helpful, informative and most importantly her navigation skills are excellent. When doing the wreck treks, especially the Mizpah Corridor, if the visibility isn't great it's easy to miss one or more of the wrecks entirely if you don't know the precise compass headings and how to account for current and watch for landmarks. Lauren knows her stuff, it's unlikely you'll miss anything and you'll have a great experience.

My group is booked with them again for a 3 tank wreck trek trip the last weekend in March.

Thanks all! Great info.

Going to make some calls tomorrow and see what's shaking on the potential dates I am looking at.

Hi @Redfoot

March will still be unsettled times for sea conditions. There is great diving from Boynton Beach to Jupiter. I have been diving year round in this area for over a decade. let me know if you would like any operator recommendations.

I'm going to recommend Calypso Dive Charters and I'll tell you why. It's small groups, maximum of 6 divers, and they put a diveguide in the water with you. We went diving with them last month and the dive guide Lauren was extremely helpful, informative and most importantly her navigation skills are excellent. When doing the wreck treks, especially the Mizpah Corridor, if the visibility isn't great it's easy to miss one or more of the wrecks entirely if you don't know the precise compass headings and how to account for current and watch for landmarks. Lauren knows her stuff, it's unlikely you'll miss anything and you'll have a great experience.

My group is booked with them again for a 3 tank wreck trek trip the last weekend in March.

The OP needs to be aware that Calypso is one of the few charters in the area that practices shark feeding on some of their charters. Perhaps the OP is perfectly fine with that practice. Some of us are not. I refuse to do business with any charter operator that engages is shark feeding. Everyone needs to make that decision for themselves. I just want the OP to be informed.

As to putting a competent guide in the water with you who tows the flag and ensures that you hit the planned sites ... all of the West Palm boats I listed to do that ... Walkers, Pura Vida, Narcosis. This isn't anything unique to Calypso. The guides on all of these boats are top notch.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom