Were to Go What to Buy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I finally made up my mind and bought the Halycon Eclipse 30 and so far this thing is awesome I have made the initial adjustments and I am waiting for my new noses from Wreck Divers Supply so I can take it out for some diving. Thinking about gearing up and diving in my pool first to get the weights figured out and just get a general feel for it. Thanks for everyone’s help. Now I just need a good can light and I’ll be good to go! :D Any sugetions I know this will open up some serious opinions but thinking about either the Halcyon proteus 3 10w or the Dive right 10W both around ~$600.00.

I was gonna ask what's a nose??? then realized you probably meant hose :D

As for can lights I have the Sea Elite 10w, it's made by Salvo, fixed head, good light
http://www.divers-supply.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SAL0001&click=10713

Don't have any experience with the other 2 lights, but the Proteus 3 burn time in only 2 hours, that kills it in my book. Wouldn't last a day of boat diving without a recharge or spare battery pack. The Sea Elite and Dive Rite have a 4 hr. burntime with the 4.5-Amp NiMH SlimLine Canisters

-Garrett

Thanks Garrett Thats a good point ok the Halcyon is out and I like the price on that one :D

The Halcyon Proteus 3 uses a SLA battery that costs $15, and if you flood the cannister it will probably be ok, the 4.5ah nimh batteries cost over $100 and if you flood it in salt water it's probably dead. All 3 of the lights are good.

Good info on the battery for the proteus John, why would the proteus probably be fine after a flood but the other two probably wouldn't in your opinion? Just curious. Hopefully I never have to test that theory.

I DO know the charger for the Sea Elite and Dive Rite will work after being completely submerged in Fresh water :D Accidentally knocked mine off the shelf into my rinse bucket didn't notice for a few minutes, drained the water out of it as best as I could, let it dry out for a few days, It works fine.

shark.byte.usa:
Good info on the battery for the proteus John, why would the proteus probably be fine after a flood but the other two probably wouldn't in your opinion? Just curious. Hopefully I never have to test that theory.

I DO know the charger for the Sea Elite and Dive Rite will work after being completely submerged in Fresh water :D Accidentally knocked mine off the shelf into my rinse bucket didn't notice for a few minutes, drained the water out of it as best as I could, let it dry out for a few days, It works fine.

The SLA batteries are not effected by salt water as much because they are sealed, I've seen several flooded, and you just rinse them in fresh water and charge them. The nimh packs have two welded connections per cell with 10 cells per pack on the 4.5ah, 20 cells on the 9ah, etc. The welds corrode and go bad very fast when submerged in salt water, I have seen a dozen or so flood, and I've never seen one saved yet. That being said, I own 1/2 dozen lights with nimh packs, a couple with li-ion packs, but my two backup cans are still lead.

Back
Top Bottom