Were to Go What to Buy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Charles R

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Ok, I am looking into buying a BP/W setup and need some recommendations on what to buy? I do not want to buy online as I would like to try it on before I buy it. I was looking at the Halcyon but not sure.

This is Phoenix specific; I am looking to find out what shop you guys recommend to get a good BP/W Setup? I have read all of the threads in here so I am aware of some of the feelings about Scuba Sciences but I am open to all recommendations. I am in Ocotillo area of South Chandler if that helps. :confused:

The nice thing about BPW is you fit it to yourself. There's 12-15ft of webbing, some drings and a buckle. Thread the plate, put on with exposure suit you are going to be using and adjust. It helps to have an experienced buddy but it's not hard without one. I'm the only one from our lds who dives BPW and longhose. I had no one to help me set mine up. Thanks to this board and the instructions that came with it (mine's a Deep Sea Supply) it took about 1/2 an hour. My recommendation is that you find someone who is diving one and get them to let you try it on just to see if it's for you. They do not have all those fancy quick releases, chest straps, pockets and integrated weights. I love mine some divers don't like em at all. I'd check DSS's site andf call Tobin or Brian and ask questions. They are more than happy to help you get started and you'll save alot of money over an "H" set up. My two cents. You can also PM me I'd be happy to answer any questions I'm able to.

Charles:

You're welcome to try my Halcyon setup if you like. I'm available just about any day of the week for a dive, although weekends are generally out. I'm in Mesa about 20 minutes from Saguaro if you don't want to travel to Pleasant.

I bought my setup from Extreme Exposure in Florida. I believe that El Mar is your LDS, and they have told me they can get nearly anything. May be worth a call to Gene or Tonia to see if they can order you up one.

PM me if you want to try mine.

AzAtty:
Charles:

You're welcome to try my Halcyon setup if you like. I'm available just about any day of the week for a dive, although weekends are generally out. I'm in Mesa about 20 minutes from Saguaro if you don't want to travel to Pleasant.

I bought my setup from Extreme Exposure in Florida. I believe that El Mar is your LDS, and they have told me they can get nearly anything. May be worth a call to Gene or Tonia to see if they can order you up one.

PM me if you want to try mine.

Thanks I will let you know

Including hammerhead, deep seasupply, and others. After much screwing aroudn with my dive shop, which has plenty of bp/w divers there (including most of the instructors), I couldn't get them to show me the gear they were selling. they showed me deep ssea supply's backplate, a terrible harness and a different wing. Bottom line is, I scoped out Halcyon (which is supported locally by one shop i absolutely won't set foot into) but in the end went with deep sea supply (www.deepseasupply.com) Tobin, the owner, will help you figure out the right size wing, plate, everything. I'm convinced their plates are the best, because they have glides for the harness built in. Every single bp-w setup I've ever seen has the harness tearing where it goes through the plate. Not DSS.

Get educated, then don't hesitate to buy online. Like I said, hammerhead is a nice plate as well. And there's not much to the set-up, the wing's the important component and what's most important is the lift capacity for the type of diving you do.

But you owe it to yourself to try Tobin at DSS.

Charles R:
Ok, I am looking into buying a BP/W setup and need some recommendations on what to buy? I do not want to buy online as I would like to try it on before I buy it. I was looking at the Halcyon but not sure.
What you don't like money?? :D J/K, well not really but it's your dime. :wink:

To answer you question...

Scuba Specialties: Sometimes has some AGIR rigs in the shop
Scuba Sciences: Deep Outdoors and Halcyon dealer, should have some in shop
El Mar: OMS dealer, they had a OMS STA in-stock, i'm guessing they'll have plates, etc.
Saguaro Sports: Dive Rite Dealer, didn't have any in-store when I was there but call.
Oasis: scubajcf, said they will have some in-store when their remodel is done. Apr. 7??
Ocean Planet: I don't know what they sell, but give them a call, they do the tec stuff.

As JimLap said the plate and rigging is kindof a one-size-fits-all unless your really short or tall then a DSS or FREDT plate may be in order (they come in sizes) and you fit the webbing to you. Your only real decisions are AL or SS plate (based on your diving) and what wing.

I dive a Hammerhead plate and Oxycheq Mach V wing, couldn't be happier...

-Garrett

shark.byte.usa:
What you don't like money?? :D J/K, well not really but it's your dime. :wink:

To answer you question...

Scuba Specialties: Sometimes has some AGIR rigs in the shop
Scuba Sciences: Deep Outdoors and Halcyon dealer, should have some in shop
El Mar: OMS dealer, they had a OMS STA in-stock, i'm guessing they'll have plates, etc.
Saguaro Sports: Dive Rite Dealer, didn't have any in-store when I was there but call.
Oasis: scubajcf, said they will have some in-store when their remodel is done. Apr. 7??
Ocean Planet: I don't know what they sell, but give them a call, they do the tec stuff.

As JimLap said the plate and rigging is kindof a one-size-fits-all unless your really short or tall then a DSS or FREDT plate may be in order (they come in sizes) and you fit the webbing to you. Your only real decisions are AL or SS plate (based on your diving) and what wing.

I dive a Hammerhead plate and Oxycheq Mach V wing, couldn't be happier...

-Garrett

No I do Like my Money I just want to get what is the best for my money and since all the dive right stuff looks to be only about $50 ceaper even the deep diver is only $100 cheaper I just want what has the best reputation and the best service in case something goes wrong!

Charles R:
No I do Like my Money I just want to get what is the best for my money and since all the dive right stuff looks to be only about $50 ceaper even the deep diver is only $100 cheaper I just want what has the best reputation and the best service in case something goes wrong!
Easy Charles...Maybe you mistook my remark, I'm not here to argue with you, but when you ask for opinions don't get in a huff when you get 'em. I believe Scuba Sciences now has a couple Halcyon rigs for rent too, if you want to try one out and weekdays with AZAtty don't work for you.

-Garrett

Charles, come out and take a look at the set up my wife and I dive. We dive Oxycheq wings with FredT bp and hogarthian harness. I'm not sure who sells local, but like JimLap said, it's not something you necessarily need to buy locally. When I bought ours, I did the same as JimLap, sought advice here, bought my stuff and figured it out. The nice thing is there are now more divers that dive bp/w and dive at the lake on a regular basis.

Not much of a difference between plates, one has slots instead of holes the other has more holes, one has less. You get the idea, if you are taller then you may want to look into a custom plate. As mentioned before FredT makes different sizes and he does great work and not to badly priced. DSS makes different sizes so does Oxycheq. With a standard Hog harness setup not much will go wrong with it.

As for me I made my own SSTL BP (since I could) and bought webbing from Diverite express. I like the added weight on my back for singles, which translates into less weight on my waist. For travel I have a plate made out of Kydex (hybrid ABS).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom