well this bites...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You know, if I ever film a movie where there is a diving scene, I'm going to have one of them run out of air. He'll ask for the octopus, but the other guy won't know what he's talking about. Then the OOA diver will pull out his slate and write a note. The other diver then suggest rock paper scissors. OOA guy loses all three tries. Then the diver with air signals that they ascend, and you see they are in 4 and a half feet of water. The shot jumps back a few feet and you see that only the OOA diver even has a tank, the other divers reg hose leads to his snorkel.

Just a thought.

I know what it feels like to be out of air, I want to know at what psi my reg starts breathing harder. Can't practice everything though.....what'd be best is to do it at 60 feet and do a real practice emergency ascent (almost always swam up way too fast in class, but most of our emergency stuff was done pretty shallow (25 feet? deepest dive was around 50 feet) and the shops depth gauge didn't work well. ) and all that, but i don't want to get the bends while practicing stuff!

JahJahwarrior:
I know what it feels like to be out of air, I want to know at what psi my reg starts breathing harder.

Mine doesn't. It justs stops.

DennisW:
I'll be driving up I-95. Going through Gainesville would be way out of the way. I am a Gator though, Electrical Engineering 1978. Met my wife in Physics class right next to Weil Hall.

There's about a 100% chance you didn't meet her in EE class. :lol: We usually have ~3 girls in my EE classes with 100 people in there...

My reg is the same, it's fine and then it's not. No in betweens, first and last breath are pretty much the same. From what I've been told by other instructors many of the newer regs out there behave the same.

First off, wait until Jan 1 '07. New DOT rules and test marking systems apply then that may rehab that tank. The current dive shop hysteria on "tank life" may settle down once uniform inspection rules with permanent tank marking defining the inspections performed have been in place a bit. The current confusion is based on those with no expertise in the field misquoting others with limited or no expertise in the field with all choosing to "err on the side of caution" as long as it doesn't cost THEM money. It's gotten a bit out of hand because of no uniform rules. Those rules WILL become uniform on Jan 1.

BTW DOT has rejected a 40 year life limit for scuba bottles because there is NO evidence age has any effect on tank safety. Industrial cylinders made in the 19teens are still in service and doing fine. My oldest bottle is about 8 months older than I am and is still in fine shape after over 55 years in service. I just wish I could say the same about me.

FT

FredT:
SAC~= 0 ?

It's easy to breathe past the warning if you are just sipping air. BTDT, a lot, before SPGs came out. That's how we knew the dive was over.

I attributed it to the fact I have an Apeks. My sac is around .35. I purposely breathed a tank to about 100 psi and didn't feel any difference. I also had an experience with a tank valve turned off and back on half a turn. It breathed great until 60 feet until suddenly: oops!

If you really want a warning, get a Scubapro Mk7 (Honker). It's based on a Mk5 so basic performance is fairly good. When tank pressure dromps to about 400 psi it will honk quite loudly. When pressure drops below about 200 psi, gas delivery to the primary will almost be cut off and you will be forced to go for your secondary.

Uh, too late, I dropped the tank off today to be hydroed. Gator Fire Exting. doesn't do it anymore, but there is another place about 10 minutes away from them that does, $22.50. Should have it back in a week.

My reg should be back tomorrow with any luck, and I just got my computer in today :)

I'm dropping off my bottles today for a VIP and fill. I ran them all the way down my Maximus just gets harder and harder to breathe.

Back
Top Bottom