Weights for BP/W setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a rubber weight belt since I need about 18lbs + SS BP + SS STA + steel tank to offset wetsuit buoyancy. I can take my Rig off and freedive without any weight adjustments. I use a DumpsterDiver style rubber/nylon webbing belt with SS QR buckle. The part that goes through the QR buckle is nylon webbing while the rest of the belt is rubber. Very comfortable. There are pictures somewhere on this board.
Can you post a link or pic of Double D type belt.

Reading about Christina in Cozumel reminds me why I want ditchable weight. Most of the accidents I have read about could have been prevented by ditching weight. Hopefully she made it up to the surface and she will be found. Prayers for her and her family! I'm torn between having the weights on me (if I have to remove the BC I won't be hanging on to the BC upside down as I float up) or having them on the BC itself. I guess when I'm not in a wetsuit I can pack load and when I am in a wetsuit I'll belt load.

Reading about Christina in Cozumel reminds me why I want ditchable weight. Most of the accidents I have read about could have been prevented by ditching weight. Hopefully she made it up to the surface and she will be found. Prayers for her and her family! I'm torn between having the weights on me (if I have to remove the BC I won't be hanging on to the BC upside down as I float up) or having them on the BC itself. I guess when I'm not in a wetsuit I can pack load and when I am in a wetsuit I'll belt load.

I don't think ditchable weight is necessarily safer. If you are diving a balanced gear configuration, you should be able to swim it up with minimal effort in the case of something like ripping a hole in your wing. If you are diving heavy, then yes, some ditchable weight is appropriate.

Alot of divers will plan on ditching their canister light to gain some buoyancy, and wear a small weight in place of their canister light when they are not taking the light. I'm split on this one, since it involves adding the question "do I really want to drop my $1500 light?" to an already stressful situation.

I generally don't add weight in my 5mm, but in my drysuit, I add a 6lb keel weight and carry some trim pockets on my harness waist strap with about 4 lbs. These are not 'easily' ditchable since it involves opening the release and pulling the weight out to ditch (unless I am upside down at the time). However, in my opinion, it is more important to have weight that stays on you rather than easy to ditch. I think it is rare to be in a situation where you need to dump weight, but if weight falls off of you during a dive, it will create a dangerous situation almost every time.

I use a SS bp/w (-6 lbs) + weighted STA (-6 lbs)+ two Halcyon trim (0 to -5 lbs each) attached upside down on the lower cam. That gives me a range of - 6 lbs to - 22lbs.

I always dive dry (Trilam- Santi Elite) with the Fourth Element undergarment system and steel tanks. When in Warm waters like Aruba, I use about
-6 to -8 lbs total. I remove the - 6lbs weight insert from the STA and throw a couple of pounds in the trim pockets. For colder water I use -12 to -18 lbs total.

When diving doubles, just the SS plate (-6 lbs).

No real ditchable weight except for the trim pockets.

With that said, I always dive with an 80 lbs liftbag attached to the bottom of my plate in a pouch and a 6 ft SMB stored in my bp pouch. Spool in thigh pocket.

Last edited:
I use a SS bp/w (-6 lbs) + weighted STA (-6 lbs)+ two Halcyon trim (0 to -5 lbs each) attached upside down on the lower cam. That gives me a range of - 6 lbs to - 22lbs.

I always dive dry (Trilam- Santi Elite) with the fourth element undergarment system and steel tanks. When in Warm waters like Aruba, I use about
-6 to -8 lbs total. I remove the - 6lbs weight insert from the STA and throw a couple of pounds in the trim pockets. For colder water I use -12 to -18 lbs total.

When diving doubles, just the SS plate (-6 lbs).

No real ditchable weight except for the trim pockets.

With that said, I always dive with an 80 lbs liftbag attached to the bottom of my plate in a pouch and a 6 ft SMB stored in my bp pouch. Spool in thigh pocket.

I like the idea of an insert on my STA. Can you show picture or link to item. Im looking to keep as much of the weight of my waist as I can.

---------- Post added April 12th, 2012 at 03:18 PM ----------

I'm trying to find out what others are doing with BP/W setups for weights. Do you use ditchable weight pockets or a weight belt? What are the pros and cons with either setup that you've found?

I'm leaning towards a weight belt mainly because it can be purchased for about $25 (a nylon belt and 2 block weights) verses the Dive Rite 16 lb QR pockets that are $95.00, plus weights, plus shipping.

I'm not a tech diver I just like the feeling of the BP/W setup (less is more). My ideal dive is in swim shorts and a rash guard.

PS- I looked for another thread with this subject but couldn't find one.

I use a SS bp/w (6 lbs) + two trim pockets (3 to 4 lbs each) with my 7mm

I decided that these Dive-Rite ditchable pockets were perfect for me. They fit right on my waistband, and can be pushed all the way back against the plate, so you dont even really feel them there. They come in 16 and 32 lb max weight load. I went with the 16. I did consider the STA weight and several other options including a weight belt. It is nice to be able to remove the weight after a dive. Lugging around my backplate with a channel weight in the STA was not pleasant. I dont like ballast weight in odd or unreachable places, so to me it was either a weight belt, or these. They are expensive, but worth it in my opinion. The one on the left is the up to 16lb version. Ordinarily I dont use extra weight, but when I have a 5mil wetsuit on a few extra pounds becomes necessary.
diveriteweight.jpg

The nice thing about the STA weight is that it puts a bunch of weight right inside the wing helping to promote a horizontal position (assuming you want to be in a horizontal position). Adding too much weight to the waist tends to put you in a vertical position, although in a dry suit, you can always push a little air into your legs to balance it out.

Alright- Stn/Stl backlate and AL 80 tank in swim shorts and a rash guard I require no additional weight. In a shorty I'll need just a few pounds. I didn't brink the tank below 1,000 PSI though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom