Weights for BP/W setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tfast78

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm trying to find out what others are doing with BP/W setups for weights. Do you use ditchable weight pockets or a weight belt? What are the pros and cons with either setup that you've found?

I'm leaning towards a weight belt mainly because it can be purchased for about $25 (a nylon belt and 2 block weights) verses the Dive Rite 16 lb QR pockets that are $95.00, plus weights, plus shipping.

I'm not a tech diver I just like the feeling of the BP/W setup (less is more). My ideal dive is in swim shorts and a rash guard.

PS- I looked for another thread with this subject but couldn't find one.

I tend to not use any weight at all. I dive a SS backplate when I am in AL tanks and don't need more then that 6 pounds and when diving steel a AL backplate works for me. When I do need 1 or two pounds I slip a weight pocket over the waist strap.

How much weight do you need to add?

I use a couple of weight pockets that slip over my waist strap. I think they cost me 20 bucks or so. The brand is XS Scuba or something like that. My thinking is, if you're going to the trouble of streamlining by using a bp/w, why clutter it up with another strap around your waist?

I stick some trim weight pockets onto the upper cam bands and add 1-2lbs into each (depending on whether rash guard or 3mm is used). Is sufficient with an ali backplate. I can swim that up easily enough... even 'breath' it up if I need to, when the tank is on reserve.

Look at XS Scuba weight pockets that fit on cam bands. I use a ss plate in combination with pockets and have no ditchable weights.

I have a few plates of different weight and add a couple weights to my tank strap with the lighter plates and aluminum tanks. If I still need more . like when diving a 5mm suit, I use a weight belt.

I use a rubber weight belt since I need about 18lbs + SS BP + SS STA + steel tank to offset wetsuit buoyancy. I can take my Rig off and freedive without any weight adjustments. I use a DumpsterDiver style rubber/nylon webbing belt with SS QR buckle. The part that goes through the QR buckle is nylon webbing while the rest of the belt is rubber. Very comfortable. There are pictures somewhere on this board.

Great info here. I can't wait to see how much weight if any I'll actually need. I'm ordering my wing and cam strap today and that will complete my BP/W setup. From what I'm gathering here I'd be surprised if I need any additional weight at all when diving an AL tank without a wetsuit (I generally don't need much added weight). If I need a little extra weight for wetsuit dives I think I'll use a weight belt so it's easily ditchable. I like the security of being able to ditch some weight and float up to the surface as a last resort.

The XS pockets are easily ditchable.

There are a lot of options for weight placement on a backplate setup. Some of what you choose depends on how important you feel it is to have ditchable weight, and what exposure protection you are using (which determines total weight requirement).

Here in Puget Sound, ain't nobody diving without a significant amount of additional weight. :) Most folks end up dividing the requirement between camband weight pouches and either a belt, or a weight harness like the DUI Weight & Trim. (I use the former, and my husband, who has no hips to hold up a belt, uses the latter.) Very few people use pouches on the waist belt, because there just isn't that much real estate there. The quick-release pouches I have seen are very bulky (they were the ScubaPro ones).

In warm water, a small belt is much easier and more comfortable to carry than our big ones, and with minimal exposure protection and a steel plate, you may need no weight at all, or only a couple of pounds on the cambands.

Back
Top Bottom