Weighting system and lift for cold water compatible BP/W.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know, not saying that this is the kind of weight system I'm going to take just because you have it. I just take every input into account. thank you for sharing yours!

the people here aren't really diving, especially at that time of the year, in the small lake I live by... Outside of my instructor (who's taking a rental BCD when he's not diving his double bladder OMS on doubles). the bright side is that I get private lessons even when we just go for fun. the down side is, not many other divers of my level. 3 Celsius right now! makes for fun dives!

I hear you. All of my dive buddies think I'm nuts for getting in the water this time of year. I tell them it's my happy place:)

@axluba I would get a SS plate. It's better than AL for warm water single tank diving unless you can't deal with the extra kg of weight when you travel.

Your real issue is the 10-13mm suit which makes the wing size requirement significantly larger than it would be in a drysuit or reasonable thickness wetsuit. I dive a 30lb wing for all single tank diving, but I don't dive anything thicker than a 7mm *non farmer john*.
I Agree, but it's an actual requirement right now. and even if I get dry suit training the availability for rental will be extremely limited so it's still a component that I should take into account!

I Agree, but it's an actual requirement right now. and even if I get dry suit training the availability for rental will be extremely limited so it's still a component that I should take into account!
how deep are you going in that suit?

so far 15m (max depth of this lake)

I prefer that my rig can be positively buoyant by itself no matter how much gas I have in my tank.

I don't dive a thick wetsuit, I dive dry. But given how I distribute my weight between my rig (non-ditchable, and ditchable in weight pockets) and my body (weight belt), I need more than 30# of lift in my wing for my rig to be buoyant if I ditch it on the surface. So I opted for a 40# wing. I'm perfectly willing to pay that extra drag for both me and my rig being independently buoyant on the surface without having to ditch weight from my pockets.

Just a data point.

rental. However is it SO bad to have the extra 6lbs? I'm not to the level where perfect streamlining is extremely important.

also I got lowwall opinion on this but for a very negligible difference they offer an outer shell of 2000 deniers instead of 1000? any interest?

I prefer that my rig can be positively buoyant by itself no matter how much gas I have in my tank.

I don't dive a thick wetsuit, I dive dry. But given how I distribute my weight between my rig (non-ditchable, and ditchable in weight pockets) and my body (weight belt), I need more than 30# of lift in my wing for my rig to be buoyant if I ditch it on the surface. So I opted for a 40# wing. I'm perfectly willing to pay that extra drag for both me and my rig being independently buoyant on the surface without having to ditch weight from my pockets.

Just a data point.

thank you! your data point is appreciated :)

rental. However is it SO bad to have the extra 6lbs? I'm not to the level where perfect streamlining is extremely important.

also I got lowwall opinion on this but for a very negligible difference they offer an outer shell of 2000 deniers instead of 1000? any interest?

6lbs is rather heavy yes, especially in a wetsuit that can compress that much. 2000d will be thicker/heavier/tougher than 1000d

6lbs is rather heavy yes, especially in a wetsuit that can compress that much. 2000d will be thicker/heavier/tougher than 1000d
sorry, I misspoke, I meant is it so bad to take the wing that has 6lbs more for those time with a thick wetsuit knowing that I'm not to the level where perfect streamlining is extremely important.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom