Weight question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Andy Ralph

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just bought a BC with integrated weight pockets. Always used a belt in the past. Wondering what weight size increments most folks buy. Should I just buy a bunch of 3's and 4's? Maybe a few 1's for trim?

We recommend that you buy a few 2's and 3's so that you can add and subtract ballast in one pound increments. In reality, getting the weight dialed in exactly is much more important for a freediver than a scuba diver, but being able to fine tune your ballast is beneficial for all divers.

We offer a variety of weights, These weights, which we call "I" weights (due to their shape) allow a diver to add or remove them from a nylon (or rubber) belt very quickly and without having to slide off a buckle or remove other weights from the belt. A handy way to add a few pounds of fixed weight to the scuba harness waist strap or even the cam band without un- threading it.
2 Pound I Weight

MIW2-2T.jpg

We also sell another option for easily added or removed ballast:
Quick Weights | MAKO Spearguns

MQW-2T.jpg

As an FYI, we have many (scuba) customers who use an elastic (rubber) freedive belt instead of integrated weights or in conjunction with integrated weights.

Freedive Weight Belt | MAKO Spearguns

I also have integrated weight pockets. I have 7mm, 5mm, 3mm wet suits and each of those could have a hooded vest or not. I dive fresh and salt. I dive water from 50 to 80 degrees. I usually dive an HP100 but also dive AL80 once in a while. So i wear everything from 4 lbs to 17 or 18 depending on suit and water and whether I have a vest or not. I carry two 1, 2, 3, 4 lb. soft weights in my wieght bag. With that I can get what ever I want.

I keep suit/water/weight combinations that I like in a page on the back of my log book.

I wanted to get rid of my weight belt, especially once I went to a BP/W set-up so I got a pair of 8# soft weights for some Zeagle weight pouches that attach to the plate and then have some 1#s, 2#s and 3#s for a cam-band pouch or ankle weights as/if needed. Lots of flexibility/options and locations to distribute the weight around for trim in salt and fresh water diving.

Back
Top Bottom