Weight Pockets for BP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

http://www.xsscuba.com/weight_belts.php

That is the website. Scroll down to look at the single weight pocket. It is just a very rudimentary velcro-closing pocket for holding weights. I put them one on each side of the harness as close back to the plate as possible. I also put one on each cam strap as close to the tank as possible. If necessary I can ditch weight from the ones on the harness.

A local dive instructor named Marc Hall made the initial suggestion to me and it was reinforced by another member of the scuba board, Robert Phillips.

Fox

I use the DiveRite aux. weight pockets on the waistband, like them a little better than the XS-Scuba pockets because they have a velcro and buckle closer so they won't fall out- I have this thing about just velcro holding my weights.

raposarose:
I was given a good suggestion by a couple of people. The XScuba (eXtreme Scuba) pockets work fine for me. They are something like $7.99 each. It is easy just to toss the weight out if you need to. It is not as easy as the ACB system seems to be, but the pockets are compact and have given me no problem. I also put some on my cam straps to help my trim and distribute weight.
Fox

That's how I had him set up, with 2 XS Scuba pouches on each side. You could easily fancy them up by attaching a a Fastex buckle and mounting them upside down. Dang, that's a great idea!

Neil

Scubaroo:
Do a search on eBay for the Halcyon ACBs - there's usually a set or two get listed each week. If you're going that route, the ACB20s are the ones to get - much less bulky than the ACB30s. Unless your friend needs that much weight.

Ben,
Thanks, I'll check ebay.. He's gonna need the bigguns. Over 300 lbs. Might have to strap an anvil to his BP.
N

neil:
Thanks for the replies. I found out that we have a Halcyon dealer here in Ventura so I went today and checked out the ACB. What a nice gadget. It's pretty much perfect for what we need. ONE HUNDRED AND SIXTY TWO FREAKIN DOLLARS THE PAIR!!!!!

Okay, I'm better now. I'll be checking out the others. FYI, the ACB uses Fastex type buckles, no Velcro, and has a strap that lets you attach it to a hole in the BP so it won't slide around. Again, well made and thought out.

Neil

yeah - I just won a bid on a pair of 30's on ebay and got them for $55.

I have the XS pockets on my tank. They are great and you can get them at leisurepro. Not sure about using them to ditch weight though. They cost like $6 bucks there.

I looked at the price of many of the ditchable pocket set ups such as Halcyon's and couldn't believe the price either. I bought a Dive Rite pocket at the LDS for now but it cost me $55 for this one pocket and my wife looked at it and freaked when she saw what it was made from. She headed over to JoAnn Fabrics and she's working on making me a pair for uhm, like $12 in material made from 200 Denier Polyester. She's doubling up the material to make them stronger and said she'd make sure the stitching was better than the Dive Rite one. She got bright yellow polyester which I wasn't thrilled about.....but her comment was, I will definitely be seen.

japan-diver:
[re]the XS-Scuba pockets . I have this thing about just velcro holding my weights.

Put stainless snaps on them. That makes them cost about $6.50 each.

I went through the same thing as your friend. I'm a big guy, and weight belts are hell on me. I was actually finding myself dreading getting in the water because of the belt issues.

After getting myself a DUI weight & trim II, I'm completely happy again. I've now got five dives on it with my backplate, and it fits great. I have no complaints at all, and you can really pack the weight in there. 40 lbs or some evil number like that. I only use 24 in cold mountain lakes.

The best part is it lays flat against you, so as long as the pouches are positioned to not interfere with your bp webbing, you are golden, and it doesn't need to be tight to stay on.

I paid 120 for it at my LDS, but I've seen them on e-bay for 80.

neil:
Thanks for the replies. I found out that we have a Halcyon dealer here in Ventura so I went today and checked out the ACB. What a nice gadget. It's pretty much perfect for what we need. ONE HUNDRED AND SIXTY TWO FREAKIN DOLLARS THE PAIR!!!!!

Okay, I'm better now. I'll be checking out the others. FYI, the ACB uses Fastex type buckles, no Velcro, and has a strap that lets you attach it to a hole in the BP so it won't slide around. Again, well made and thought out.

Neil

FYI- The newer ACB's don't have that hole. They use a tri glide that attaches to the webbing. You may want to check those out too.

neil:
I set up a friend of mine with a BP and wings to use on a Hawaii trip cupla weeks ago. I don't even own one, but it seemed like the best (only) thing to fit him. I put it together and we went diving. He's quite a hefty guy. No room for a weight belt AND the harness strap. We experimented by putting some non-ditchable pockets on his harness belt and he was golden. He quit whining, and had excellent trim. What I need is some opinions on the QR pockets on the market: Halcyon ACB, OMS, Diverite Transweight, etc. Thanks,
Neil
If you want some 30#'s I got em. I got them on e-bay and now realize I really need 20's. I am in Ventura too. Let me know if you are interested.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom