Weight Pockets for BP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

neil

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I set up a friend of mine with a BP and wings to use on a Hawaii trip cupla weeks ago. I don't even own one, but it seemed like the best (only) thing to fit him. I put it together and we went diving. He's quite a hefty guy. No room for a weight belt AND the harness strap. We experimented by putting some non-ditchable pockets on his harness belt and he was golden. He quit whining, and had excellent trim. What I need is some opinions on the QR pockets on the market: Halcyon ACB, OMS, Diverite Transweight, etc. Thanks,
Neil

Go to a LDS shop and see what they have, Get an idea to see what would work best for your buddy. Some companies have two types of setups. Make sure that you can access the system. Also make sure that the system can hold the amount of weight that your buddy needs. ( My Zeagle sales pitch here) Zeagle has two systems one is a velcro pocket design easily holds 20# the other is a ripcord design rated for 30#'s. I have not tried to see if these could mount on a OMS or DR BP for example but they may. They may mount on others as well

Both Custom Divers (http://www.customdivers.com) and Halcyon (http://www.halcyon.net) make weight pockets specifically suited to BP configurations. I've not seen the Halcyon ones but would assume them to be of the same quality as the rest of their equipment. The Custom Divers set is pretty nice. I've seen them up close and they are very well constructed. The only draw back in my opinion is the velcro closure.

Where are you putting the QR pockets? Are they mounted on the BP - between the bp and wing or are they mounted on the waist harness.

Ditto on concerns on the velco and the max weight load for each pocket.

Hantzu

GDI:
Go to a LDS shop and see what they have, Get an idea to see what would work best for your buddy. Some companies have two types of setups. Make sure that you can access the system. Also make sure that the system can hold the amount of weight that your buddy needs. ( My Zeagle sales pitch here) Zeagle has two systems one is a velcro pocket design easily holds 20# the other is a ripcord design rated for 30#'s. I have not tried to see if these could mount on a OMS or DR BP for example but they may. They may mount on others as well

Dive Rite has some nice new quick release weight pockets in 2 different sizes....16lbs and 32lbs.

I have the 16lb size but can only seem to get 10lbs total in both (i.e. 5lbs in each). I'm using soft lead bags. With solid weights I could get more.

They go on the 2" webbing and have pullout pockets.

Site for Transweight systems from Dive Rite:

http://www.diveriteexpress.com/bcs/weights.shtml

Marcus

Thanks for the replies. I found out that we have a Halcyon dealer here in Ventura so I went today and checked out the ACB. What a nice gadget. It's pretty much perfect for what we need. ONE HUNDRED AND SIXTY TWO FREAKIN DOLLARS THE PAIR!!!!!

Okay, I'm better now. I'll be checking out the others. FYI, the ACB uses Fastex type buckles, no Velcro, and has a strap that lets you attach it to a hole in the BP so it won't slide around. Again, well made and thought out.

Neil

Do a search on eBay for the Halcyon ACBs - there's usually a set or two get listed each week. If you're going that route, the ACB20s are the ones to get - much less bulky than the ACB30s. Unless your friend needs that much weight.

I was given a good suggestion by a couple of people. The XScuba (eXtreme Scuba) pockets work fine for me. They are something like $7.99 each. It is easy just to toss the weight out if you need to. It is not as easy as the ACB system seems to be, but the pockets are compact and have given me no problem. I also put some on my cam straps to help my trim and distribute weight.

Fox

I just got the Zeagle pockets that mount on the lower tank camband, between the wing and the tank. You can easily reach back and yank the ditching straps, and there's less junk cluttering up your frontside with this setup. Haven't tried 'em yet though - too much ice between me and the water right now.

raposarose:
I was given a good suggestion by a couple of people. The XScuba (eXtreme Scuba) pockets work fine for me. They are something like $7.99 each. It is easy just to toss the weight out if you need to. It is not as easy as the ACB system seems to be, but the pockets are compact and have given me no problem. I also put some on my cam straps to help my trim and distribute weight.

Fox

Is there a website for these pockets?

Ron

Back
Top Bottom