Weight plates for bottom of Al tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've seen boots with 4lb wts built in advertized, but I don't recall where. Of course, that makes an extra 4 lbs on the tank always. Strapping them on at least allows the set to weigh less for hauling around purposes.

I carry 6 pounds of soft weight
in the seasoft tank weight pouch previously mentioned
just above the boot on PST E8-119s. Takes a couple of minutes of
fiddling when changing tanks, but the resultant trim is really
nice both underwater and swimming on the surface.

For doubles I took a strip of scrap aluminum in my basement, drilled holes for the back plate bolts and ty-wrapped 2 3lb and 1 2lb weights to it, fits between the tanks.

A quick and easy way of adding weight to the bottom of a tank is to thread a regular weight onto a cam strap and put that on the tank. Assuming that works out for you I would get a V weight (assuming we are talking doubles) as it is impossible for a V weight to fall off.

I made my own weight for the tank boot. Take your al 80 and then stick it in a box of casting sand, take 4 lbs of lead or the amount you need and poor into the casting sand. Perfect fit for your own tank boot.

I no longer use mine, since I got the DSS BP/W I find my trim is good without weight down low. Mine was there as an experiment in a neutral buoyancy al80 tank. Failed big time, trim changed too far down and I was not happy with the results.

It's easy to make and takes very little time. Of course the standard disclaimers apply for working with lead, it's dangerous stuff if you don't know what you're doing with it and can cause medical problems if you get it too hot and inhale vapors, plus if it's not clean it can have things in it that will wreck your body in no time flat, and of course if you have kids do this outside, just make sure there's no precip or you'll find out it's a blast!

That said, it takes more time to say how to make them than it does to make them.

My other concern about the solid lead at the boot area was a lack of drainage. If water gets in, and it will, it will take forever to get out. I thought of drilling holes in it to help out, but never got that far. I would not use a solid disk for long IMO.

JimC:
Most people who need to carry a pile of lead around usualy are trying to move it UP on there boddies off a weight belt. Useing things like weighted STA's and channel weights.
Just in case you haven't noticed :), women are built differently. A well-endowed woman instructor had a short answer to my query about why she didn't any trim weights up high: "HIPS and THIGHS!!"

tiburon72157:
there's a guy on ebay marketing them as well from florida. myself and diverbuoy have a couple on order. he seems to be a little flakey though. and it seems he's not even running the listing this week. don't know whats happening with him. anyway, DI as referenced above, also runs a listing on ebay. might save a few bucks. here's the link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dive-Innovations-Aluminum-Tank-Buoyancy-weight-system_W0QQitemZ7205284180QQcategoryZ16053QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

As mentioned we just bought some, the guy has all positive feedback, but he's not very communicative. We'll post something back once we've received them - and used them.

Charlie99:
Just in case you haven't noticed :), women are built differently. A well-endowed woman instructor had a short answer to my query about why she didn't any trim weights up high: "HIPS and THIGHS!!"

Which is why I said
"I don't have much experince helping women trim out and your mentors are topnoch guys, so I'll leave it at that."

Mind you, my wife trims out perfect in an AL80 using an SS plate, 7# channel weight and 12#belt. And she is nice and curvy. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom