Weight of Scubapro 109 or 156 second stage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Title says it all. I'm trying to get a sense of how much heavier these metal regs are than the G250 or D350 that I have now. Thanks in advance!

They're definitely heavier than the plastic 2nd stages. Don't forget though, in use they're in water filled with air, so that cuts down substantially on the feeling of weight in your mouth. I have found that with the right mouthpiece and hose length, there is no appreciable difference in comfort between my 109s and the plastic 2nd stages. I have a G250 that sits in my closet while I use the 109s frequently.

That said, the D series regs do breathe better if they're adjusted correctly. Well, 'better' is subjective. They are smoother and more stable across various dive positions, and cracking effort can be set very low. But they're also drier with a more aggressive venturi, so the air tends to feel a bit drier and cooler.

+1
I use the standard SP mouthpieces and did a bit of A/B comparison. While the G250 breathes a bit better because of the increased Venturi effect, the difference in weight under water is negligible.

Thanks, folks, very useful info. I may join the bling-laden ranks of the 156 or 109 users!

I love my 109s. I have used a G250 on hundreds of dives before switching to a 109 and I can say that the increased weight is not a factor for me. I use miflex hoses with a 70 degree swivel and never experience jaw fatigue.

Back
Top Bottom