Weight difference between wet/dry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spg01

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What is the weight difference between diving wet and dry?

I have heard people usually add weight when they switch from wet to dry. I am currently looking for a bp/w setup and 30 lbs of lift will work for diving wet with a few pounds to spare. So I am wondering if I would need a larger wing if I go dry in a year or so. Or just jump up to a larger wing?

You won't need a larger wing, you'll have a dry suit.

The weight differences can be enormous (e.g., 20+ pounds). Depends on the dry suit and the undergarments.

Even if your dry suit floods? Wouldn't you need some extra lift then because you would not have the extra buoyancy of a wet suit?

Even if your dry suit floods? Wouldn't you need some extra lift then because you would not have the extra buoyancy of a wet suit?

Nope.

Water in your dry suit has the same weight and density of water outside of your dry suit. You don't become "heavier" if your dry suit floods. You just lose buoyancy. Ditch weight if you need to. A larger wing is not a proper solution. You should be diving a balanced rig anyway, shouldn't need to ditch that much weight.

The weight change is not more than a few pounds, for me I think it is about 5 or so but it has been a while since I dove wet.

I have a 30lb wing and it works fine. For reference, I'm 5' 10" and 180ish. I think you'll be fine with 30#.

I wear the same weight 7mm wet or dry. Of coarse if it gets into the 40s I might add a couple of pounds so I can have thicker insulation and a bit more air in my drysuit. Some insulation like the 400g DUI undergarment requires much more weight.

I use less weight diving dry than I did while diving wet.
I went from a farmer john 7 mm to a DUI TLS350. I went from 14lbs on the belt to from 4 to 10 lbs on the belt depending on the undergarments.
I use a 30# wing for both wet and dry diving.
Jim Breslin

I am debating between a 30lb horse shoe or 35 lb torus wing from DSS. Tobin has favored the 30lb wing. I know he is probably right, but I figured that it could not hurt to ask. I am 6' about 245lbs, so I am not exactly small. I have also been leaning towards the torus style, so I might just look around some more.

Thanks for the info though.

I am debating between a 30lb horse shoe or 35 lb torus wing from DSS. Tobin has favored the 30lb wing. I know he is probably right, but I figured that it could not hurt to ask. I am 6' about 245lbs, so I am not exactly small. I have also been leaning towards the torus style, so I might just look around some more.

Thanks for the info though.

Tobin will hate me for this, but I'd go for the T35, I have a LCD30 and love it, but if I was to do it again I'd go for a horseshoe. I know he doesn't think it matters, maybe its a placebo. Who knows! Either way, they are great great wings!

Back
Top Bottom