Weight difference between wet/dry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You have the horseshoe and would do it again? Or you would do the torus? It's late and I'm confused....

You have the horseshoe and would do it again? Or you would do the torus? It's late and I'm confused....

A few points:

1) If a drysuit suffers a total failure, i.e. cannot trap gas it can loose all the buoyancy it started with. People often confuse the effects of flood with a total failure.

Consider a BC with water inside it. As long as it can still trap gas all you have lost is a little bit of lift capacity. Now consider the same BC with the fill hose torn off.

Drysuit undies are not inherently buoyant, throw one in the pool and it will saturate and sink. Same for a shell drysuit. Let all the gas out of a drysuit and you will loose all of it's buoyancy.

2) There are no short cuts to determining *your* buoyancy in *your* suit. The cut of the suit, the cut of the undies, the loft of the undies etc all vary from diver to diver.
Asking others to predict how much ballast you may or may not need to change when moving from wet to dry is not very useful.

3) There is no practical difference in terms of ease of use between a well designed narrow profile horseshoe and well designed narrow profile donut wing.
All DSS singles wings have 3 inch wide center panels.

There is considerable difference between an oversized, wide center panel horseshoe wing and a correctly sized, narrow profile wing, horseshoe or donut. Worrying about horseshoe vs donut is not time well spent.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom