Weight Belt Under BP Harness?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ignoring for a moment the irrelevant question of whether or not PADI teaches weightbelt removal while submerged, do YOU ever see a reason for ditching a weight belt at depth??

Maybe you want to come up fast?

Maybe you want to practice ditch and don of all scuba gear on the bottom (Ive done this dozens of times too).

Maybe you have a total BC failure and decide that you want to remove some ditchable lead, if you have little or no wetsuit on, then you will not experience any change in bouyancy on ascent (I've had a bc totally fail before).

I find the comment that there is no reason to ditch a belt underwater to be incredibily short sighted. I personally wear a wet suit and wear the crotch strap over the belt. I have a quick release in the crotch strap, but every time I dress I feel a little bit irresponsible because I know it is not the safest way to dive, but it is just much more convienent to put the weight belt on first.

Maybe you want to come up fast?

Maybe you want to practice ditch and don of all scuba gear on the bottom (Ive done this dozens of times too).

Maybe you have a total BC failure and decide that you want to remove some ditchable lead, if you have little or no wetsuit on, then you will not experience any change in bouyancy on ascent (I've had a bc totally fail before).

I find the comment that there is no reason to ditch a belt underwater to be incredibily short sighted.

The "fastest" ascent that PADI teaches is the CESA, and for that you would definitely NOT want to ditch weights at depth, unless you're so overweighted that you can't swim your rig to the surface. Why would you "want" an uncontrolled ascent?

Practicing ditch and don at the bottom doesn't have anything to do with dropping weights at depth, does it? So, you practice removing your weight belt, fine, but you're hanging on to it or something else specifically to prevent what would happen if you dumped your weights at depth.

If you have no wetsuit on, you should only have enough weight to compensate for the inherent buoyancy of your rig (including empty tank) and yourself. Again, if it's not very easy to swim to the surface, you're overweighted. Total BC failure simply means you have no positive buoyancy; it doesn't add to your weighting.

The theory that you "should" have the option to ditch weights at depth in some bizarre emergency in which you are overweighted, buddy-less, and out of air is not by itself a problem, I suppose. But, in practice, you have to balance the possibility of accidentally losing weights at depth and the associated danger against any theoretical "safety" that's gained by having ditchable weights at depth.

PADI teaches the weightbelt on top and clear of everything for RECREATIONAL diving. For tech, they teach that ditching or loosing the weightbelt is the LAST thing you want to happen. They even mention using 2 buckles on the weight belt to prevent this. Having the belt under the harness in tech diving is not an issue as removing the belt (or accidently loosing it) is more dangerous than keeping it on.

Under, wet or dry (diving wet I need only 2kg on the belt anyway, that does not constitute a problem for me).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom