Weight Bag (ammo can)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had the same thought, but I get enough of carrying them when they're full of ammo at work to not want to see them anywhere near my one escape for relaxation. And I know more than a couple people who would disagree with the idea that it's a "good" handle haha - sturdy, most definitely, but not exactly designed for comfort!

I sprung for the same Akona bag bigken mentioned when I picked up my weights, works great, and doesn't dig into the hand in the same way the hard, flat handle of the ammo can does if you're carrying it more than a few steps.

True. I don't know who designed the handle, but they are NOT comfortable with a full can. They lay pretty flat though. :D

I should do this with one of the cans for a first aid kit. At the moment, I use one of those plastic boxes ( wal mart ) with partitions. It works OK, but has no handle. I like the idea of painting a red cross on it.
I'll post a pict when it's done :)

For my current kit, I've got a small cordura (soft) bag with some plastic dividers (of sorts) in it. I think I got it for free when taking a car for a test drive. I'm going to replace it with an ammo can first aid kit. With the can, you can put a full-sized bottle of Isopropyl alcohol in it, a pocket mask, and whatever else you want to put in there. For now, I'll just drop the soft first aid kit inside the can with the other stuff and I'll sort it out later once I decide what all I want to put in there.

As for comfort of the handle - you could always make a rubber handle cover over the handle, or if you really wanted, make some padded cover that velcros on. I might do this if I get around to it, at some point :)

edit: pictures of first aid can attached. My paint skills are not too good. The dripping you can see is actually the POR-15 undercoat, not he white paint.

Attachments

• fac_1.jpg
    fac_1.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 182
  • fac_2.jpg
    fac_2.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:
As for comfort of the handle - you could always make a rubber handle cover over the handle, or if you really wanted, make some padded cover that velcros on. I might do this if I get around to it, at some point :)

I was thinking the same after reading about your post. Maybe even just salvage an old duffle bag for the velcro wrap that holds the handles together and put some closed-cell foam in it.I was thinking cut off the handle that's there and rig up an all-fabric handle with the same metal loop/bracket/whatevers that slide in the slots on the lid and connect to the handle itself, so that way it still drops somewhat flat, but it contours to the hand a little better.

There are definite options, and for a first aid kit, keeping your mask and such from getting crushed - the ammo can definitely offers more protection than any of the plastic cases I've seen around for a good bit more money.

There are definite options, and for a first aid kit, keeping your mask and such from getting crushed - the ammo can definitely offers more protection than any of the plastic cases I've seen around for a good bit more money.
Yeah, it's basically crushproof and waterproof and a good shape that lends itself to being tucked in a number of places, or mounted onto the side of something. And hey, for $5 - the price can't be beat :)

Thanks for the mention on the mask. I guess that since I went with a slightly larger can for the weights, which has some space left over, I could maybe put a mask in there. That's a good idea.

I'll post a pict when it's done :)

For my current kit, I've got a small cordura (soft) bag with some plastic dividers (of sorts) in it. I think I got it for free when taking a car for a test drive. I'm going to replace it with an ammo can first aid kit. With the can, you can put a full-sized bottle of Isopropyl alcohol in it, a pocket mask, and whatever else you want to put in there. For now, I'll just drop the soft first aid kit inside the can with the other stuff and I'll sort it out later once I decide what all I want to put in there.

edit: pictures of first aid can attached. My paint skills are not too good. The dripping you can see is actually the POR-15 undercoat, not he white paint.

it looks good man!!

Reading about the first aid kit got me to thinking of mine, so I figured I would post a cpl pictures to give you a few ideas of what you could put in there. I use a Pelican 1600 case with soft dividers. I used to use the case for my photography gear when I traveled to Iraq for work. The old trauma bag in my trailer kept getting in the way all the time so I thought I may as well use the case for something since I can store it and not worry about it getting smashed.

As you can see the trauma kit is for ALS. If my dive buddy needs help they will get it, I'll worry about white shirt politics later:wink: The Red Cross emblem you have painted is a good choice too, and is still widely accepted as first aid. Good job on the cans, be sure to check your supplies often for heat and cold damage as well as for any expiration dates. Do some searches on the forums about first aid kits for diving and you will sure to find multiple threads to give you ideas on how to fill your goody box up.

331925703_rUYzj-M.jpg
331928113_ySrA6-M.jpg

331927645_jzYEv-M.jpg

When travelling I used the diving sticker to help me pick out my luggage at the airport terminal. I don't have a fresh picture, but I since placed a few EMS Star of Life stickers like I have on the scooter.

Safe diving, kudos for you for thinking ahead for emergencies.

Kenny

Last edited:
Just took my EFR class. I dont see a pocket mask in that big kit...HAHA just kidding i am sure you have one in there. Do you have a oxygen kit also? Great job on the kit.

Nudediver-
You can also get some first aid inventory ideas from DAN's website...
Bobby

Nudie,

Moto brings up a good point here. Get yourself a good pocket mask, perhaps some safety glasses and some latex gloves. I would imagine the latex gloves won't hold up very long to being stored, so there could be better options with some other types of gloves. You never can tell what kinda sea creature you may be scrapping off someone. Lol.

Moto, good advice about the DAN website. My kit is gross overkill - such as the GPS. It was an old unit I never used. Basically I had the room for storage so I wanted to utilize every possible option. As for an Oxygen kit and mask? Yes, I just don't store it in the kit is all. I use my O2 frequently for calibrating my O2 analyzers, so I keep a lil bottle with a 15L/min reg nearby. The lil cylinder would only last a few minutes max in an emergency, so I keep a few D size cylinders stashed in some action packer boxes. Rather than using a pocket mask, I have a AMBU bag instead - just hard to see in the photo, but is shown to the right on the blue strap in the one linked here.

For a single rescuer, the pocket mask is still good advice since it would be easier to maintain a good seal. Most emergencies can be covered with the most basic essentials so don't go broke buying stuff. Find a few sized band-aids, some basic bandages and dressings, perhaps some stuff for the occasional critter encounter and you should be set. Out of my kit I found I used a small med kit more than anything. Those included stuff for general aches such as Aleve, Imodium AD for the toe curlin trots you may get from the local sea food place, and some backup sea sickness medication. I keep both the OTC and the prescription Transderm Scopolamine 15mg patches. Both have been used on several occasions. Lol. The list could go on and on, and you will find it very easy to outgrow even the largest kits. As a medic working in the ambulance, I tended to pack mine for work. lol Better to have and not need, than to need and not have!

Good job Nudi, keep brainstorming.

Safe diving,

Kenny

Last edited:
All:

I already have a pocket mask on my "to buy" list. I've found that the one from American Red Cross is about $12, while the one from DAN is about $25. Guess which one I will be buying?

Also, I've been looking over sample first aid inventories on a number of sites - primarily ARC and DAN, as well as the kit I already have (which will be the launching point for this first aid can). I was actually looking through it last night. It has two pair of latex gloves in it. I will be adding quite a few more though, as well as some safety glasses and other things. Thanks for the support :)

For any who are interested - feel free to check out the picts. I'm basically done. I plan to glue on a thin rubber pad to the bottom of the cans, to keep them from sliding around if they have the chance, and on the bottom inside of the red cans I will also put a thin rubber pad, but other than that, I'm done.

Also - bad move to put a dive flag on any bags you check as luggage. That's just inviting them to get ripped off.

Cheers!
nd

Attachments

• dcan_1.jpg
    dcan_1.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 75
  • dcan_2.jpg
    dcan_2.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 56
  • dcan_3.jpg
    dcan_3.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 62
Also - bad move to put a dive flag on any bags you check as luggage. That's just inviting them to get ripped off.

Cheers!
nd

Actually I never had a single problem. With the exception of my last trip home where all my luggage was lost due to a cancelled leg of my flight did I ever have a problem and even then thankfully two days later they delivered it. Of the seven round trips to and from Iraq I never once seen a dive sticker. Going into and out of theater, there could be hundreds, upon hundreds of black or OD green duffels and believe me Ppl. have done some mighty creative things to make their gear stand out. I've seen everything from neo orange spray paint, to construction tape put on the bags.

Dive safe, time for work. Grrrrr

Kenny

Back
Top Bottom