Weight Bag (ammo can)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NudeDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
So, those spiffy heavy duty weight bags are $30 and up (locally). I wanted one, but I didn't want to spend the money.

Then it occured to me that an ammo can would be the perfect device. It's heavy duty, just big enough for its purpose, and has a nice handle on it.

I've got 34 pounds in soft weight (4x2,2x3,4x5), 10 pounds in hard weight (2x2,2x3), and a pair of ankle weights (3 pounds). Everything but the ankle weights fits in the smallest ammo can available (30 cal) - just barely - which I happened to have in the garage. I decided to spend $5 at a local thrift store and get a slightly larger can (50 cal). Now I have room for all the weights, including the ankle weights, with a little room to spare.

Today I went over to a buddy's a fired up the sand blaster. I blasted the two 30 cal cans I already had and the 50 cal can I bought today. Then I slapped down some POR-15. In the next few days, I'll paint them. I'll paint the 50 cal can and one 30 cal can in a dive flag motive. One is for weights, I dunno what I'll use the other one for. The other 30 cal can I'll paint white and put a big red cross on each side and use it as a first aid kit.

Anyway - point is, screw commercial weight bags. Go get yourself an ammo can. If you don't paint it - it's a $5 weight bag and better for its purpose I believe :)

Cheers!
nd

Depending on if you use soft weights or not, you will need to use some drain holes. Those stay wet for quite a while after diving. You will more than likely have a pool of rust from the water settling in the can after a few dives. You may consider the plastic ammo boxes at Wal-mart if you want to go that way.

I have one of the Akona bags which is loaded down with multiple types of soft weights; end of the day, I just toss'em in and forget about them. They dry and drain right through the bag.

Safe diving.

Kenny

Edit.....Ok, not sure what's up with SB making a new post after a edit. But anyhow, I missed the POR-15 part. Opps.

My son and I each have a military "mechanic's bag" that we purchased in surplus store in Billings, Montana last year. The cost was about $10.00 each. Heavy-duty material and the same size as an Akona weight bag. With construction made of heavy canvas(?) they don't hold water and dry very quickly. We often get asked where we got the "weight bags".

Edit.....Ok, not sure what's up with SB making a new post after a edit. But anyhow, I missed the POR-15 part. Opps.
Yeah, the POR-15 is going to prevent any kind of rusting. But never the less, I do plan on removing the weights and letting them air dry whenever I get home. But they will be fine in the can until I do so :)

So, those spiffy heavy duty weight bags are $30 and up (locally). I wanted one, but I didn't want to spend the money.

Then it occured to me that an ammo can would be the perfect device. It's heavy duty, just big enough for its purpose, and has a nice handle on it.

I've got 34 pounds in soft weight (4x2,2x3,4x5), 10 pounds in hard weight (2x2,2x3), and a pair of ankle weights (3 pounds). Everything but the ankle weights fits in the smallest ammo can available (30 cal) - just barely - which I happened to have in the garage. I decided to spend $5 at a local thrift store and get a slightly larger can (50 cal). Now I have room for all the weights, including the ankle weights, with a little room to spare.

Today I went over to a buddy's a fired up the sand blaster. I blasted the two 30 cal cans I already had and the 50 cal can I bought today. Then I slapped down some POR-15. In the next few days, I'll paint them. I'll paint the 50 cal can and one 30 cal can in a dive flag motive. One is for weights, I dunno what I'll use the other one for. The other 30 cal can I'll paint white and put a big red cross on each side and use it as a first aid kit.

Anyway - point is, screw commercial weight bags. Go get yourself an ammo can. If you don't paint it - it's a $5 weight bag and better for its purpose I believe :)

Cheers!
nd

Ha! I'm ahead of you on this one. I've used an ammo can for years. Works great but you have to let the soft weight dry before sealing the can.

Ha! I'm ahead of you on this one. I've used an ammo can for years. Works great but you have to let the soft weight dry before sealing the can.
Well, I just got my own weights maybe a week ago. So figuring out to use an ammo can and acquiring it in that short amount of time is pretty good :)

FWIW - the POR-15 dried overnight and I'm not painting the cans. I wish I could have found flat paint, but I could only find spray paint in gloss (red) and semi-gloss (white). I've applied the first coat and I'm not waiting for it to dry. I think the red is going to look pretty good (would look better in flat, but oh well). Not too sure about the white. In any case, they're going to look better than ammo can green. Should have much better rust protection too :)

My ammo cans are green, just as they came. If it rusts through, I'll get another.

I use one to keep all the weight I don't normally use, and a mesh bag to carry the weight belt and a couple of one or two pounders in it. I usually only take the ammo can if I plan on diving with someone who is tweaking gear, or if I'm doing that.

My ammo cans are green, just as they came. If it rusts through, I'll get another.
Yeah, I'm painting them mostly just because I "can" and it makes them more interesting. I'm easily amused I guess :)

Although, one of them is being painted white with a red cross, which will be my first aid kit. I think that in this case, the painting actually has functional value :)

The final paint is currently drying. Getting that red cross masked on both sides was kind of a pain in the ass. I hope it turns out OK :)

I had the same thought, but I get enough of carrying them when they're full of ammo at work to not want to see them anywhere near my one escape for relaxation. And I know more than a couple people who would disagree with the idea that it's a "good" handle haha - sturdy, most definitely, but not exactly designed for comfort!

I sprung for the same Akona bag bigken mentioned when I picked up my weights, works great, and doesn't dig into the hand in the same way the hard, flat handle of the ammo can does if you're carrying it more than a few steps.

Yeah, I'm painting them mostly just because I "can" and it makes them more interesting. I'm easily amused I guess :)

Although, one of them is being painted white with a red cross, which will be my first aid kit. I think that in this case, the painting actually has functional value :)

The final paint is currently drying. Getting that red cross masked on both sides was kind of a pain in the ass. I hope it turns out OK :)

I should do this with one of the cans for a first aid kit. At the moment, I use one of those plastic boxes ( wal mart ) with partitions. It works OK, but has no handle. I like the idea of painting a red cross on it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom