Weight Bag (ammo can)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kenny, nice bit of kit there!

Obviously you have more training than most of us. It's nice you're willing to have the stuff ready, and pitch in if fit-hits the fan.

Actually I never had a single problem.
I've never had my house burglarized, but I still lock the door when I leave :)

In other news - the 30 cal can is a bit too small for everything that I want to put in there as my camping/diving first aid kit. I can use it for a house kit, but I'm going to have to get a new 50 cal can and repeat my sand blasting and painting process on it.

Last edited:
My son and I each have a military "mechanic's bag" that we purchased in surplus store in Billings, Montana last year. The cost was about $10.00 each. Heavy-duty material and the same size as an Akona weight bag. With construction made of heavy canvas(?) they don't hold water and dry very quickly. We often get asked where we got the "weight bags".
Thanks for the tip. Today I went to our local surplus store (Home) and got two mechanic's tool bags in black canvas :

bagsbackpacks

Only paid $8.50 each for them. I agree, they could make great weight bags. However, I got one to use as a little tool bag for my Jeep, and I got the second one as a bag for some as of yet undefined purpose :)

I went to a rubber supply place here in town and got a piece of scrap rubber mat (about 1/4" thick) and cut it to size to fit on the floor of my ammo cans. Should help it from getting scratched up by weights. I got enough for all of my cans, and then some. So, now my diving cans are completely finished. The 50 cal can holds all of my weights plus my "save a dive" kit, and still has a little room left. I dunno what I will do with the 30 cal can, but I'm sure I'll find something.

The 30 cal can I painted up as a first aid kit was too small for what I wanted to put in there - so I will use it as a home first aid kit with less stuff in it. For my wilderness/camping/diving first aid kit, I went out and bought a 40mm ammo can for $10:

40mm Ammo Box

I sand blasted it and put POR-15 on it today. After that dries, I'll get on to painting it up in a first aid kit motif. Then I'll stock it up. Should have plenty of room for everything I want to put in there. Given its purpose, this will be more of a "first aid plus" kit. It will have some extras, like flashlight, batteries, bear repellent, and, if I have room, a small handgun in case I need to do myself in (too much pain, too far from rescue, leg eaten off by bear, etc.).

Check out Harbor Freight. I got 2 tool bags larger than military tool bags for about $15. They are yellow so they are easy to see and study.
Harbor Freight has alot of great stuff!

Steve

I got a small tool bag at Home Depot for $6. Works great! Only thing I did was cut a piece of 1/8" plywood to fit the bottom so it spreads the weight out across the bottom a bit.

Also makes a great wedge for keeping the tanks from rolling around in the back of the truck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom