Custom weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have both soft shot and hard weights. The advantage of soft shot is it doesn't chafe in the corners of weight pouches. Hard weights are much denser. The plastic bags will chafe against the outside fabric and the inside lead. My guess is they won't last and will leak shot over time and become a headache you won't want to deal with.

If you want lead weights to fit into weight pouches on a harness and be less than $5 a pound, I would suggest buying or making a mold. I bought my 2 piece mold for 6 lbs weights 40 years ago and still use it. You can make a mold pretty easily by carving the them or filling a bag with plaster and letting is dry in the intended pouch. Afterwards, clean it up with a pocket knife and then using it to cast in sand. Rough corners can be hammered down pretty easily. You can coat them with plastic pretty easily, too. A bar of soap will also work.

Uncoated lead shot will grid together and create more lead dust that either goes into the water or in the back of your car.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom