Weekend Diving Plans 26-27 Feb 10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FWIW, I was at Lobos on Tuesday and had it all to myself. We had about 40' visibility at HITW/LM on dive #1, then 50' on Middle Reef for dive #2 (incoming tide). Conditions were outstanding, providing you didn't mind standing around in the pouring rain during SI.

Beware the ramp, I'm sure you've heard. It's really bad right now. Despite all my warnings, my dive buddy went down while she was walking up after the first dive. Nothing broke, but I think that's because she is only 26.

Bruce

Doesn't that get powerwashed occasionally? Wish there was some easy way we could just scrub it when we see it in bad shape, like on our SI or something...

The consensus is that bleach works better than power washing. Do it at low tide.
A marine biologist will tell you that the bleach does severe damage to the plankton and that it then makes its way up the food chain causing harm at every level. I had a group of biologists down at Lobos one time who absolutely had fits when they saw somebody scrubbing the ramp with bleach. It may be legal and accepted at Pt. Lobos, but if so that's only because the rangers don't understand the harm it does.

As far as the pressure washer is concerned, that seems to have fallen by the wayside. I assume it is for a lack of volunteers.

BTW, I just talked with a fellow who was diving at Pt. Lobos today and he swore it was at least 60' of visibility where he was. He's going back tomorrow. I sure wish I could go!

Bruce

We had 60-70ft viz a bit past lone metridium, inside the cove was ~15 ft.

A marine biologist will tell you that the bleach does severe damage to the plankton and that it then makes its way up the food chain causing harm at every level. I had a group of biologists down at Lobos one time who absolutely had fits when they saw somebody scrubbing the ramp with bleach. It may be legal and accepted at Pt. Lobos, but if so that's only because the rangers don't understand the harm it does.

As far as the pressure washer is concerned, that seems to have fallen by the wayside. I assume it is for a lack of volunteers.

BTW, I just talked with a fellow who was diving at Pt. Lobos today and he swore it was at least 60' of visibility where he was. He's going back tomorrow. I sure wish I could go!

Bruce

Salt is Sodium Chloride. There are HOW MANY Chlorine ions
in a gallon of seawater?

Back
Top Bottom