Wedding Rings and the Ocean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've found two wedding rings in the Caribbean, one in Montserrat, and one in Dominica. Both were in shallow water where waves and currents moved a lot of sand, exposing the sudden bright flash of gold. The owners were probably wading unsteadily on what were difficult beaches. I think it's a bad idea to wear valuable rings while swimming or diving. I don't understand why people bring expensive jewelry on vacations, especially those that involve water sports. Is it really that important to wear a wedding ring on holiday? Will people think you are an immoral wanton, fornicating and cohabiting without the benefit of matrimony? Leave those rings home.

...I'm not entirely sure how to react to that last sentence but alright.

I'm not in the ocean just on vacation, it's for work and classes too. So just taking off a ring for vacation isn't really going to lower the amount of time I'd have it around the water. I'm not even sure when I can have a vacation next.

...I'm not entirely sure how to react to that last sentence but alright.

I'm not in the ocean just on vacation, it's for work and classes too. So just taking off a ring for vacation isn't really going to lower the amount of time I'd have it around the water. I'm not even sure when I can have a vacation next.
I see your point. I still think people should not wear diamond engagement type rings in the water. I suppose the whole wedding ring thing is a deeply ingrained custom. I personally think they are unnecessary, an obsolete artifact for either sex.

I don't wear mine diving. I have a fear, maybe unfounded, that something might hurt, sting or bite me and cause my finger to swell resulting in an ischemic finger beyond the constricting ring..

Why were a replacement ring when afraid of losing the real one? Is someone going to check?
The temporary ring is put on before going to the airport, and comes off when I get back home a week or two or three later. Why does this bother anyone?

I've been wearing my wedding band (plain gold, no stones; don't have an engagement ring) with no issues so far. I have slender fingers with slightly bigger knuckles, so my ring stays put even when my hands are cold. I feel like I'd be more likely to lose it if I took it off sometimes; this way I always know where it is. Personally I like wearing it, and seeing my husband wear his. (Although his doesn't fit as well as mine does, so he takes it off to go in the water.) I know it's not magic, but it's a nice thing to look at it and feel loved.

Did you say you're planning on making your rings? I would only caution you that, if they don't fit perfectly, they might be more likely to slip off.

My question was, why wear a replacement ring instead of just taking it off while at risk?
Take it off and put it on before/after each dive? Why bother? More chance of misplacing it that way, i think.
I consider the entire dive trip to be "at risk" so wear the temporary for the entire dive trip.
In fact, i'm wearing it right now, because I'm off in a few days and I didn't want to forget to change it.

FWIW my silicone ring IS my daily ring.

@agilis I get your point, in fact I get that the whole wedding thing is a bit obsolete. But the again vintage is the new black. :wink: (Interestingly black silicone wedding rings seem to be very popular, especially among men. And of course there is always camo...)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom