Wedding Rings and the Ocean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've found two wedding rings in the Caribbean, one in Montserrat, and one in Dominica. Both were in shallow water where waves and currents moved a lot of sand, exposing the sudden bright flash of gold. The owners were probably wading unsteadily on what were difficult beaches. I think it's a bad idea to wear valuable rings while swimming or diving. I don't understand why people bring expensive jewelry on vacations, especially those that involve water sports. Is it really that important to wear a wedding ring on holiday? Will people think you are an immoral wanton, fornicating and cohabiting without the benefit of matrimony? Leave those rings home.

Keep the rings at home and don't cheat on each other. I never wore my wedding ring (Potential work hazard) and never had an issue, while my ex-wife wore her's all the time and had problems.

I also stopped wearing a ring regularly after nearly losing a finger during my first marriage when it got hung up on something at work.
Now I have a spinner dolphin ring my gf got me made out of stainless steel that I wear on special occasions when we go out. If you really want to be safe, do like some military members do. They get them tattooed on. Of course if you get divorced like 50% or so of couples, you have to get the axe out.

I don’t really understand the point of swapping out your real ring for a silicone, steel, etc., stand-in for going on a dive or a dive vacation. Is going ringless for a dive or even a week vacation a problem?

Is going ringless for a dive or even a week vacation a problem?
Yes, after so many years my hand feels naked without the ring on it. And it sunburns where the ring was...

I went ringless in Bermuda, where i don’t use gloves, but keep them on in Northeast since gloves cover them. However, my custom ring was designed with Scuba in mind, so stones are channel set, and wont puncture the gloves.

I married a couple late last year, they are boat people and divers and fishermen for fun. They spend lots of time on the water. It felt weird to bless silicon rings, and I have no idea if the ones I blessed are the same ones they wear.

When I first got married, I was afraid to lose my ring while snorkeling on Isla Mujeres. Now, 40 years later, I'm not afraid of losing my wedding ring doing anything.

dido on the silicone rings. ive had my qalo for 8 years now. my wife weres qalo when we go on adventures and her diamond when dressing nice for a night on the town

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom