Wedding Rings and the Ocean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is amazing the number of people I see, including myself, wearing silicone rings, from cheap 6 colors for 10 dollars on Amazon to 30 and 40 dollar rings.

Silicone Rings & Silicone Wedding Bands | QALO

Enso Silicone Rings and Silicone Wedding Bands - Lifetime Guarantee!

These are two of the more popular but also pricer silicone ring options.
My LDS has a fancy display where they sell the QALO silicone rings for about $10. We got them for international trips where we were concerned about the possibility of getting mugged in addition to the possibility of losing a ring on a dive or attracting a critter. They're comfy, and perform their intended function well enough.

I dive with a lower-profile, gold class ring and have not had any issues. It's a bit difficult to get cold water gloves over it, but it works. I would say that a loosely fitting ring is likely to get lost.

It depends on which tradition you want to go with. :wink:

History of the Wedding Ring — With These Rings

Obviously the sentiment behind the ring trumps the material of the ring.

The material doesn’t matter to me. Whatever ring we exchanged in the ceremony, that’s the ring that’s going to stay on my finger, for better or for worse (like the possibility of losing it). So far, I don’t think I have taken it off since the day we were married. It’s a very plain gold band—not expensive. When I lost weight I had it resized to help it stay put when it’s cold/wet.

My wife and were diving with our rings until another diver suggested not to because of damage to gloves (more so my wife’s ring). Now we take them off in the car before we gear up.

Yesterday I saw a display rack of QALO silicone wedding rings when I was waiting in the check-out line at REI, where they put impulse-buy trinkets like keychains and Cliff Bars. It struck me that a wedding ring is being merchandised as an impulse buy. "Hey honey, I picked up a couple of 'outdoorsy' wedding rings when I was at REI."

The material doesn’t matter to me. Whatever ring we exchanged in the ceremony, that’s the ring that’s going to stay on my finger, for better or for worse (like the possibility of losing it). So far, I don’t think I have taken it off since the day we were married. It’s a very plain gold band—not expensive. When I lost weight I had it resized to help it stay put when it’s cold/wet.
People are different, that's pretty obvious

While there's quite a bit of emotional attachment to my wedding band (I'd be devastated if I lost it), I often take it off. I take it off when sleeping (my fingers tend to swell up, so it turns a mite uncomfortable in the morning if I wear it when sleeping), and I don't put it on if I'm planning on doing outdoorsy things. My uncle almost drowned at sea because his wedding band got entangled in a fishing net they were setting out. After that, he never wore it, but kept it in a drawer in his bedroom.

I still have my wedding band even when it's left secure in a drawer in our bathroom, and I have absolutely no need for a visual clue to show anyone who might - in my dreams, in reality they don't exist - decide to hit on me so I'd have to explain that "sorry, no. Taken".

So I'm quite fine with leaving my wedding band at home and going out without a cheap ersatz.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom