Websites that save

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Addict

Contributor
Reaction score
I got a Surge from the LDS about 3 months ago. It has a very bright beam with a nice clean pattern, especially for a small light. However, It flooded the first time I got in the pool with it (<18ffw). When I returned it, the LDS guy's (a different guy than who sold it to me) response was "Oh, you got a Surge?" as if it was a common problem. Then he proceeded to give me a new one. I took the new Surge to a lake and it flooded again immediately, this time the bulb broke from the pressure around 61ffw. By the time I got a chance to return the light (about 3 weeks later), the LDS was no longer stocking the Surge. I got an Ikelite PCa in exchange, not quite as bright, but no flood problems after 4 dives, max depth 58ffw. The O-ring in the Surge seems to be pretty wimpy, and the screw-on seal probably wipes it out of place pretty easily. The Ikelite has a clamp-on seal with a beefier O-ring, a dive buddy has had one for a couple years and it's never flooded. So if you're set on buying a Surge, you may want to buy somewhere with a good return policy :)

As far as my online equipment choices, the following places are good, not as cheap as LP and DI, but I think they are actually authorized dealers for the stuff they sell, and are still cheaper than LDS:

www.scubatoys.com
www.diversdiscount.com

Thanks for the tip on the Surge. Are all the compact PrincetonTec's prone to flooding?

Also, I am looking to find a good deal on BC straps
Notice on the right of this page: ( Straps on Right of Page )

What does everyone use? A $20 strap to keep you 'danglies' close, or do you find more economical ways to keep your stuff in close?

I use a high-force retractor w/ quick clip, like the one pictured on the LP page you sent. I also have the Suunto Cobra shown. Be warned that the swivel clip will not fit over the thick plastic loop on the end of the Cobra console. I had to slide the split ring over it and leave the retractor connected to my console and unclip from my BC's D-ring. I would have preferred the other way around. Other than that, the retractor is a good way to keep the console in close, but leaves it easy to pull out and view. Everything else I carry goes in a BC pocket, my octo is clipped off to a d-ring.

Mark

Mark -
Thanks for the reply. I had wondered about using the retractor for that purpose (as I just got the Cobra) - so I am glad to hear from someone about it.

I use blot snaps & zip ties on lights & consoles & snap off to D-Rings. I carry 2 UK SL4's. 1 snapped off to right chest D-Ring & 1 to the left chest D-Ring. I use blk. 1/2' tube to make a zip tied loop around each web strap from chest to waist & put the end of the lights trough the loops. It hold the lights tight to my chest so they dont' dangle & pose a entaglement like most others.

Back
Top Bottom