Web bag for SMB?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billt4sf

Contributor
Reaction score
Fayetteville GA, Wash DC, NY, Toronto, SF
# of dives
500 - 999
Does anyone know where we could look on Bali for a bag to hold my SMB that would be threaded on to our waist-belt webbing?

We use wings -- no pockets on the BCD. I have been using pockets on my wetsuit but I'd rather have it in a bag on my waist.

Thanks in advance.

Bill

Hi Bill

For years I've had small pockets on the waist belt of my wings for odds and sods like this. I still keep my bigger smb's in these pockets, but for my smaller ones (4-5') I just use bungee or the like threaded through a bolt snap and clip off the smb. Similarly I use some bungee on the reel to keep the line in place.

Just some ideas if you can't get your preference.

Stay safe in Bali.

We've been looking for separate bags for SMB's for quiet a while and unfortunately we couldn't find them available without the actual SMB's. We of course went through Ocean Kings as well as Masterselam ... no luck.

Of course, clipping your SMB on the side of the bcd without a bag is just right and it's not an inconvenience at all. Me personally, I've never had an SMB bag but of course maybe it's a personal preference.

With respect and appreciation,
Julian

We've been looking for separate bags for SMB's for quiet a while and unfortunately we couldn't find them available without the actual SMB's. We of course went through Ocean Kings as well as Masterselam ... no luck.

Of course, clipping your SMB on the side of the bcd without a bag is just right and it's not an inconvenience at all. Me personally, I've never had an SMB bag but of course maybe it's a personal preference.

With respect and appreciation,
Julian

Thanks. I have done that, it work pretty well but then it WILL get loose at some point. The bag is actually for my backup SMB.

- Bill

It's a hard item to find anywhere. I eneded up sewing my own out of suncloth. I put two small loops of bungee on opposing sides in the middle. One loop slides through the other and I clip a double ender to it. I've been thinking about sewing them just a bit bigger so they can hold a spool as well. I hate seeing SMB tails behind divers. I really hate when mine self deploys, so bags work well for me good luck!

for the record, Dive Rite make a mesh bag/pocket to fit on the bottom of your plate. I keep my 12' one in there, although it's a tight squeeze.

It would easily fit a standard dsmb and spool or lift bag (What it's supposed to be used for. I also have a butt plate with rails for slinging so this uses the same attachments and doesn't get in the way.

Just a thought.

PS. Make sure the holes of your plate are of the right pitch. My Apex one is fine, my inherited halcyon one is not

It's a hard item to find anywhere. I eneded up sewing my own out of suncloth. I put two small loops of bungee on opposing sides in the middle. One loop slides through the other and I clip a double ender to it. I've been thinking about sewing them just a bit bigger so they can hold a spool as well. I hate seeing SMB tails behind divers. I really hate when mine self deploys, so bags work well for me good luck!
This sounds like a great DIY project asking:
Where do you buy the sun cloth? Does it dry quickly? Can a regular sewing machine sew it, or does it need an industrial machine, needle? Does it need a particular thread? Any other advice? Thanks!

Ideally, I want one (or two) that slide onto my webbing. I might find other things to put in there :)

I found the Dive Rite (or maybe similar one) that hangs off the backplate but that seems like it's going to be sub-optimal because it's hanging, and hard (?) to get to.

- Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom