Web bag for SMB?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This sounds like a great DIY project asking:
Where do you buy the sun cloth? Does it dry quickly? Can a regular sewing machine sew it, or does it need an industrial machine, needle? Does it need a particular thread? Any other advice? Thanks!
I think it was actually called sunshade cloth. Mine was blue and has a tight weave. I can't find the particulars of it, but it wasn't that cheap. After I bought it, I found a boat upholstery shop that not only offered to sell me a small quantity and even to sew it for me. My Singer sewed it just fine... but I did have a walking foot. The hardest part was getting the foot to go over the bungee loops, but that wasn't too bad. I need to make some more. FWIW, I got the idea from the shark tooth collecting bags you can buy from the Scuba stores in Venice Beach, Fl.

for the record, Dive Rite make a mesh bag/pocket to fit on the bottom of your plate. I keep my 12' one in there, although it's a tight squeeze.

I use this for my backup SMB and reel also, plenty of space and not an issue to access.

A cargo pocket on your thigh though is more accessible IMHO.

I carry two SMBs. One SMB in pouch in backplate (the Halcyon MC pak):

stowing big smb.jpg

and one in a tail pouch bolted to the bottom of my backplate.

meshbag.png

Either one can be removed if I'm doing a Caribbean reef dive and don't feel that I need a redundant SMB, although they are hardly noticeable.

It's a hard item to find anywhere. I eneded up sewing my own out of suncloth. I put two small loops of bungee on opposing sides in the middle. One loop slides through the other and I clip a double ender to it. I've been thinking about sewing them just a bit bigger so they can hold a spool as well. I hate seeing SMB tails behind divers. I really hate when mine self deploys, so bags work well for me good luck!

Sounds interesting. Can you please post a picture?

Alternatively, does anyone have any thoughts on a thigh pocket such as this:

Dive Rite DC Thigh Pocket XT, Velcro Closure

Alternatively, does anyone have any thoughts on a thigh pocket such as this:

Works well holding stuff, however it can move around if you have skinny legs.

Tech shorts are also another option

Apeks Tech Shorts

Hi Bill, the Chairman has a good point and a trailing SMB reel. If you tightly clip off the SMB to the reel, it will not come loose - even in strong currents. I clip it off on my left waist strap D-ring. My wife prefers a pocket for her SMB/reel, so clearly it is an individual preference. Although, I have rapidly descended to grab a customers reel, so perhaps a waist pocket is a better solution.

and one in a tail pouch bolted to the bottom of my backplate.

How do you open this pouch? It looks like from the side, but it’s hard to tell....

Hi Bill, the Chairman has a good point and a trailing SMB reel. If you tightly clip off the SMB to the reel, it will not come loose - even in strong currents. I clip it off on my left waist strap D-ring. My wife prefers a pocket for her SMB/reel, so clearly it is an individual preference. Although, I have rapidly descended to grab a customers reel, so perhaps a waist pocket is a better solution.

The problem my wife had was, although the reel was tightly clipped, when she back rolled off the boat, something caught the gate on the bolt snap and released the spool. This happened twice. I was thinking of adding a second piece of bungee to secure the spool to the SMB. Neither of us wants to use strap on pockets if we don’t have to, but it would be better than chasing the spool.

I agree that it is not fun to chase after a reel. Rather than add an additional bungee strap, consider a Dive Rite mesh bag.

Francesea - Sunshade is available in the gardening section of Fred Meyer (west coast) or equivalent. The mesh comes in different percent shading.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom