We don't need no education....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm glad I don't live downunder. Although I see the US going down the same opressive nanny state road. One of the things I've always loved about diving was the freedom one had underwater, now the do-gooders are even taking that away.:(

Well Australia is actually a pretty big place you know? It would be like me saying 'I'm glad I don't live in the US because in some places solo diving is banned'. This is why I responded to comments from marinediver. How they have described Australia is not how it works everywhere. There might be 'codes of practice' but they don't seem to be enforced evenly between states.

I have no doubt that there are operators just doing their own thing,
I have no argument with that. I have only stated what I would do.
End of story.
In regards to the code of practice, it actually is in each state,
It actually should be working everywhere, it is simply not audited or adhered to.

Recently the Vic Code of Practice was made public for submissions and discussion.
The committee who oversaw the moderating were leaders from industry including operators, manufacturers and diving services eg DAN.

It actually should be working everywhere, it is simply not audited or adhered to.

Well I don't think it 'should' be working everywhere. I think much better of charters that don't take on the role of babysitter and would use them over charters that might follow these 'codes of practices'. But I think it is good to have a variety of operators to suit a wider range of people and their various risk tolerances, etc.

From what I have read about the Canberra some of it has been laid in 15m of water to allow for OW divers. So far the code is not up for comment yet.

Yes. Hopefully it won't end up like some of the wrecks up your way as far as regulations go... I doubt that charter operators would be happy if OW divers can't dive it :wink: I think the top of the wreck is supposed to be in 10m of water but I am not sure if that has been confirmed yet after the scuttling.

I was re-reading this thread and came across this from DCBC: PADI continues to chip away at their training program; recently taking out buddy breathing. I don't know where it's going to end.... Took out buddy breathing?!??!!? IMO that's close to a crimminal act. Buddy breathing has saved lives down through the years. It wasn't a desprate situation but I had to buddy breath once long ago, glad I could and both of us were trained in it. This new inclination to rely on computers, ocpt. rigs is a bit unnerving to me. There's nothing quite like counting on yourself and your abilites to make a confident diver, instead of a bunch of devices that can and will let you down someday.

Yes, myself also. But some students just want to a course "because", not because they have a goal they are trying to achieve.

Yes if they want the card, they will be required to prove competence. If it's too long, requires too much effort, or commitment, they can choose not to take it, but that's what's required.... :)

What gets me is the way things have been set up. When I learned to dive, virtually everything was covered in training that is now divided up into little packages, each with its own card. When I finally went for my first C-card, after eleven years of diving in all kinds of conditions, I was given a Basic SCUBA card from PADI. At that time, that card meant a lot. It meant that I had experience in buddy breathing from depth, emergency ascents, deep dives (to 130 feet, my personal limit because I get narked easy), emergency and rescue procedures, you name it. That card came with no more restrictions to its use than I chose to place upon it myself.

Then, sometime in the '80s, I lost the original card and sent off to PADI for a replacement. To my dismay, my new card was marked "Alternate Air Source Required." Until that time, I was not even aware of the (to me) new practice of hooking another second stage to a regulator for emergency use. By 1992, my Basic C-card had become even more restricted, so I went through the motions to get my OW just to keep down the hassle.

Now, I find that if I want to dive below 60 ft. from a charter boat or other "official" dive operation, I will need an AOW. And this just to do what I was trained to do years before I even got my first C-card.

If the agencies want to compartmentalize their training of new divers, fine. But why penalize us old geezers by changing the "value" of our once meaningful certifications?

I'll get off my soap box now.

Well said. The standards have been chipped away to such an extent that many DMs and Instructors that are currently becoming certified may have a difficult time in meeting the basic card requirements that were set by Instructors in the 60's and early 70's. Obviously, this is not the case in every situation, but such a statement is not looked upon fondly regardless of its merits. If you don't need to teach a skill, you don't need to know it.

I was re-reading this thread and came across this from DCBC: PADI continues to chip away at their training program; recently taking out buddy breathing. I don't know where it's going to end.... Took out buddy breathing?!??!!? IMO that's close to a crimminal act. Buddy breathing has saved lives down through the years. It wasn't a desprate situation but I had to buddy breath once long ago, glad I could and both of us were trained in it. This new inclination to rely on computers, ocpt. rigs is a bit unnerving to me. There's nothing quite like counting on yourself and your abilites to make a confident diver, instead of a bunch of devices that can and will let you down someday.

Yes and saved the lives of others as well. Unfortunately, it was taken out of the "optional category" and classified as not required. PADI leads the way!

The minimum standards have dropped in most training agencies over the years. Many Instructors keep several skill-sets in their training program despite the agencies removing them. There has been a reluctance to do this by LDSs as a means to shorten the time that they can turn-out divers. The faster this is done, the greater the profit margin.

Last edited:
What boggles my mind, is the description of the BS procedure for the private boats. The only reason I have a boat is because I got sick of the nonsense with the commercial charters in general.

If is like that in parts of Australia, chances are it will spread over more areas. Sure hope it takes longer than my lifetime to get to Florida.

Well I guess ....if they don't get me in the name of God they are going in the name of 'safety'

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom