Ways you can use a spare air tank other than as scuba redundancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

you mean like this? :popcorn:

DoubleSpareAirs100.jpg

I initially meant using HP130 doubles for refilling :) but the one you posted looks nice as well :) though I suspect you will have trim problems with double spare air thing - will be over weighted on the head and you will have to move them down. Thus you will not be able to reach your valves and thus will lose all air in case of free flow. You see thinking logically if you double up spare air you are "gonna die" :popcorn:.

I'm thinking that our original poster needs to skip all these "alternate air sources" and just
get a "Rebreather Snorkel"

1694421727_3b2761b8f3.jpg

Brandon,

Whatever pulls your trigger.

The only concern I'd have - well, actually I have a few, but lets stick with the main deal -

you say you're going to be snorkeling sometimes, and then using your spare air sometimes; simultaneously.

Like many of the others have already said, obviously you'll be holding your breath when coming back up on your snorkel.

And you'll need to breath normally (or exhale) when coming back up on your spare air.

It doesn't matter whether you try to breath normally while on your snorkel, or hold your breath while on your spare air - either one will likely result in issues.

Make sure you can remember which one is in your mouth - I'd think that under recreational conditions, (or simply excitement or inattention,) it would be relatively easy to hold your breath while coming back up on the spare air, which would be real problematic.

Provided you can keep things straight in your head, ...have fun.

Be careful.

Doc

I wasn't going to dare dredge this bad boy up unless one of ya'll did, I was just going to bubble off on my own and let ya'll debate till ya bent

No really, it's going great up until someone I know links me back to this post and starts laughing out loud, please mods remove this timestamp in history of my lastest tweak on the hobby world before I am found out and identified res publica.

Here are the updates:

-this has turned out great. I have gotten two old friends back into scuba who were, like me, out for ten years of the hobby and were also certified on the rare island vacation they used to take. You all know that for as many of you that take time to post here and really take the hobby with passion, there are 3x as many who are certified and haven't been in over ten years...those guys and gals seem to be my current dive buddies :) and frankly I'm slightly cooler to them than you are so don't hate lol because everyone has seen your type of dive gear and only dive heads have seen mine. I have also met up with a dive buddy that I can use for full scale diving should I want to don all that and drive a long way, it's been really neat to reconnect with divers, ex and current, with public pool diving.

so, we've been meeting at the pools and diving again. one thing that wasn't mentioned earlier was that under responsible use in a pool, this helps to take someone who isn't willing to go through all the hassle to: A. find water B. rent gear C. plain procrastination and it simply gets them back into the water. They are more likely to dive again with my way, because it's easier and still safe, and if hooks them like it has me they'll eventually rent or buy full gear again. This scenario keeps repeating to my past diving contacts: An old friend calls up and says to them over the phone in a manic way "hey a-hole, go meet me at the Y you are getting your gills wet, punk." I have miniature dive gear and when you see it you will love it." After six follow up calls, a referral to youtube and then a few beers if needed, they finally show up and two hours later are water logged and thankful.

I think I have dove about 100 times with this device, time to get it inspected due to constant use. Still no probs, but that's a heck of a lot of bursts to contend with.

I bought another. I buddy dive with my friends, and double up myself in river dives which I've been taking. Mostly pool dives as earlier stated. I never go deep, 15ft is dang scary on micro air, so you all know how easy it is to surface from 15 feet in a pool if something goes wrong...

So, here's some more. I found out a great way to cool tanks in a hot trunk. I built a rack to hold my refill tanks, and regardless of how hot the direct sun is on my trunk, a wet towel laid across them keeps them cool. the towel doesn't even have to be cool, mere evaporative cooling in the trunk, even surrounded by 115 degree air, will not overheat the tanks due to the insulating effects of the metal between the compressed and atmospheric air. I didn't know it would work this well, I had found this by laying wet dive clothes and then coming back to the truck constantly for refills, the front tanks were cold and the back tanks kept warming up compared to the wet ones. I have perfected this phenomena by simply keeping a cooler of slush water, which will last 4 days in my trunk, and switching out two towels IF that kind of cooling is ever needed. Overheating of tanks is not a problem now, allowing for long trips and weekend storage when needed.

Another discovery:

The mate point on spare airs for the tank adapter is a brass-to-brass contact. As much as I'm using this, that much metal to metal was making fine brass dust that I could see in my cap. Kept wondering where the gold tint was coming from...it dawned on me to use silicone regularly to prevent this erosion, as the actual filling process could be importing microflecks into my air supply! These are the things I will have assessed as I get this serviced more often than needed, as my primary air source.

Keeping the nips clean and lubed has settled things down for me, personally.

I have found two diamond earrings from diving in a public pool. I suspect one is zirc but my gf swears the other is real because we etched my shaving mirror with it. I don't know how to tell but later on I'll drive it up to a store to see. either way, urban treasure diving he he. it is now time for someone to start up a flame war around the ethics of keeping/selling public swimming pool filter-grate fodder, I will not be able to keep up with both of these monster threads! Obviously I don't put my self in situations where I will get sucked into a pool grate...but I guess they have about 16 minutes to come get me if I do. it's not like it's a raging torrent down there peeps...

Here's one for contest, the constant refilling and the way I address it. The first few posts were really helpful on the air reduction charting, it really isn't all that fun on a normal 3000 psi tank but with multiple bottles it's fun. Better though: So far what's worked well is having access to steel tanks that are filled to 3500 or 3600 as posted earlier... I do not allow the tanks to equalize, obviously, I simply stop before or just when the pin comes out on the spare air and there is still sound of transfer I am stopping. The receiver tank cools and is further unstressed...This is getting me a lot of mileage on my air, it is the only safety aspect of this hobby i can see worth considering now other than safe dive locations.

We just got back from drift diving the comal river with these, it was terrible fun and there were no safety issues to be had that would be unrelated to snorkeling and basic water play.

Third bottle gets here on Thurs :)

to each his own,
B

p.s. I was also able to take this gear into the mecca of western pool diving, the natatorium in san antonio. If looking at progressively bigger fishbowls from a first person perspective turns ya on, you cannot beat this. 19ft is frickin scary on spare airs, I would never ever ever ever take them deeper but yes I'd snorkel in the ocean with them knowing what I know->in a snorkel spot.

Pretty big changes from the first page of the thread!

With full gear you really can't get in unless you piggy back a class, in restricted hours, but with this gear I have never been turned away at any pool I have taken it to, so my dive opportunities aren't limited (in the context of pool diving). when i take my friends along it's really fun, and they are too lazy to ever go anywhere like the coast with me so this is all we'll get.

In july, around the 5th I'm taking these to balmorrea. Hope none of you narc on me, don't hate, I'm a bubbler just like you so let a man get his kicks and they will never know nor care.

I'm not really selling anything to you other than ways 2009 was one heck of a great summer, and when it's all through i'll ebay them successfully for maybe 120 bucks each. They are $180 new nowadays, any dive shop that charges you more is ripping you off, plain and simple. There is no need to pay $300 for a 3.0 SA unless your dive shop hopes you won't shop online. Everywhere they are 180 now! That's a loss of 60 bucks per bottle upon resale, not too big of a hit for so much fun. Yes I will also be renting full gear and cover skins to hit up the blue hole NM. I'm thinking if I jumped in there at 60 degrees I'd get about two puffs off these little chiggers so unfortunately I will have to don full gear to get deep where I am located...

Last edited:
Is this an actual spare air that we are talking about?

spareair.jpg

Are we actually calling breathing off of a spare air unit while in a pool diving? Isn't that kind of like driving down the highway (that once a year gets closed off for an Indy race) and calling yourself an Indy race participant?

Well I dunno...could your scenario blow your ears and lungs out if done incorrectly? :)Why don't you let the fact I increased my dive count to 100 based off the last month's personal conduct be of larger concern, bub.

B

Back
Top Bottom