Watson Murder Case - Discussion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This instruction would not apply in this case because Watson did not lose Tina. He made a choice to leave her and go to the surface for help, even though he knew at the time that doing so, he might lose her. Only a couple of minutes into the first dive of the trip - no reason for a safety stop at all.

Time and time again, I hear briefings where, in an emergency, a safety stop can be skipped because you are doing no-deco diving and a safety stop is for insurance only. This included strong current conditions where time underwater could mean you are carried a long distance, raising the potential for loss. My instructor told me that doing safety stops is a way for practicing for a potential deco hit, giving you the skills to perform an open water stop at shallow depths. I have NEVER heard any dive briefing to say - stay down for five minutes, then go look for your lost buddy. As a matter-of-fact, even the open water instruction book says look for your buddy for one minute, then go to the surface to look for them, assuming that you are diving within recreational limits up to that time, it should be safe to do so. But if you are wondering, just look at your dive computer, your nitrogen loading should be in the green.

I can't help but wonder if someone heard the instruction wrong. Also, I find that the five-minute safety stop is odd, given most dive computers give a three-minute countdown for a safety stop, not five. If this instruction was given, I would assert that it is outside the boundaries of accepted practice that that dive operation needs to change its dive briefing instructions. I sincerely doubt that dive instructions on the SpoilSport mirrored this dive operation, if what was reported is true.

I can't help but wonder if someone heard the instruction wrong. Also, I find that the five-minute safety stop is odd, given most dive computers give a three-minute countdown for a safety stop, not five. If this instruction was given, I would assert that it is outside the boundaries of accepted practice that that dive operation needs to change its dive briefing instructions. I sincerely doubt that dive instructions on the SpoilSport mirrored this dive operation, if what was reported is true.

Okay, this is getting really OT now; I'm sure the issue has very little to do with the Watson case.

However, I beleive SSI recommends a 5 minute safety stop, while PADI recommends a three minute stop. I am PADI certified, but the boat I was on (and, incidentally, the club I usually dive with) are both SSI, and I am certain they advocate for a 5-minute stop.

My computer lets you set the safety stop to whatever time you deem fit, but I think the default was 3 min.

^^ Yes, I thought I heard that wrong at the first dive breifing as well. I actually raised my hand and said "Wait, if I've lost my buddy, you want me to look for 1 minute, THEN, do a safety stop, THEN make for the surface?" The DM said "YES." I shrugged my shoulders and my buddy and I privately agreed that we would skip the safety stop in the unlikely event we got seperated (we've dived over 150 dives together in Sydney (ie poor visibility) without getting seperated, it seemed unlikely in the tropics).

Anyways, the point was that clearly some operations mistake recommended safety stops with compulsorary deco stops. Who knows why?

I didn't suggest that the Mike Ball staff would do this. I haven't dived with them, but know heaps of people who have, and all say it's a top notch operation.

Okay, this is getting really OT now; I'm sure the issue has very little to do with the Watson case.

Absolutely, but you introduced the OT remarks. They have nothing to do with the Watson case because he did not lose his buddy, did not do a search and did not do any safety stop. I am still at a loss as to why things get discussed that are not part of the case at hand.

This whole case stinks. I don't believe a young man over 6 feet, RESCUE CERTIFIED would be incapable of rescuing his 5'2 wife at around 45 feet. And even if he failed to drop her weights/ inflate her BC he took 2, TWO freakin minutes to go 45 feet!! That's ridiculous, as said in the fact pattern. Regardless of the bends, which from 45 feet...., she WILL die if he doesn't get help.

SIMPLY ABSURD. The question is not WAS she murdered, but WHY? Why would he "kill" her?

The prosecution respectfully asks that the court returns the only just verdict of Guilty on charges of First Degree Murder. Thank you your Honor.

Hiya Beast. You ever panic underwater...??

Hiya Beast. You ever panic underwater...??

nope don't plan to. have you bro? I believe cooler heads will prevail in most situations

AND the I don't plan to part is because I am not going to put my self in situations that could lead to panic.... ie inexperienced buddy taking them on a 100 ft wreck/drift dive.

plain stupid

nope don't plan to. have you bro? I believe cooler heads will prevail in most situations

AND the I don't plan to part is because I am not going to put my self in situations that could lead to panic.... ie inexperienced buddy taking them on a 100 ft wreck/drift dive.

plain stupid
Well, if one presumes that he is innocent until proven guilty in our courts, as our constitution allows, there is a lot that can be learned from his mistakes - with regard to over confidence, lack of recent ocean experience, panic, etc. You'll understand more in a couple hundred dives probly, but follow your training always - and since they don't train well on dumping weights, always remember than you can. My bud & I practice that on the first dive of every trip.

This whole case stinks. I don't believe a young man over 6 feet, RESCUE CERTIFIED would be incapable of rescuing his 5'2 wife at around 45 feet. And even if he failed to drop her weights/ inflate her BC he took 2, TWO freakin minutes to go 45 feet!! That's ridiculous, as said in the fact pattern. Regardless of the bends, which from 45 feet...., she WILL die if he doesn't get help.

SIMPLY ABSURD. The question is not WAS she murdered, but WHY? Why would he "kill" her?

The prosecution respectfully asks that the court returns the only just verdict of Guilty on charges of First Degree Murder. Thank you your Honor.

After spending more than an hour trying to draft a response that did not violate the TOS, I've decided not to dignify this with any further of a response than this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom