Watson Murder Case - Discussion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the Watson case he has always claimed not guilty to murder, There was a plea bargain in Australia and his guilt for murder is yet to be proven in a court of law altho the court of the media is another issue all together!
Hi, I just joined this site. Bowlofpetunias I think it's pretty common for things to be misrepresented. Only a few people are going to know the real 'facts.'

Here's the link. Might be easier if we confine recent discussion to the new thread.
(instead of having to follow two threads and have duplicate posts).

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Threads merged.
Rick

If anyone is wondering, Rick merged the old thread from last year into the new thread for this year (that we are in now). so a few posts might look out of place based on that.

Latest on the case and what is new:

Gabe Watson murder trial on fast-track as Judge brings trial forward to May | Herald Sun

"AN Alabama judge has fast-tracked the murder trial of "honeymoon killer'' Gabe Watson for May, creating a logistical challenge for prosecutors relying on witnesses and evidence from Queensland, where the death occurred. ..

Tina, 26, a novice diver, was found unconscious on the seabed seven minutes into a dive on the SS Yongala off Townsville..

Prosecutor Don Valeska said he planned to have as many as 10 witnesses from Australia testify at the trial.."

Some other updates:

Source: May trial date set for Gabe Watson, accused in wife's death in Australia | al.com

.."During an arraignment for Watson, 33, Circuit Judge Tommy Nail also set an April 20 date for motions in the case. Defense lawyers Brett Bloomston and Joe Basgier have said they will ask Nail to dismiss the charges.."

Source: Gabe Watson's U.S. trial set for May

"..Many also wondered if Luther Strange would continue to pursue the case once he became A.G. earlier this year.

"I cannot speak for Attorney General Luther Strange," Valeska said Monday. "He has directed me to move forward with this case and I'm doing what he said. He's been very helpful and very understanding and realizes the problems of a case half a world away."

Hi, I just joined this site. Bowlofpetunias I think it's pretty common for things to be misrepresented. Only a few people are going to know the real 'facts.'

Yes an everyone "filters" their perceptions through their bias and experiences. Put two people in a room to witness an event and there will be three realities. One for each of the witnesses and one devoid of emotional interpretation! But everyone will swear they are telling the true "facts" which they will be.. in their opinion!

And sometimes you have evidence that corroborates a witness account and sometimes you have witnesses who agree on key elements. That is why you have a trial.

However, there may not be a trial in this case if the defense wins their pre-trial motion to dismiss. Since the pre-trial motions will be before judge Nail, the same judge who openly ridiculed the prosecutor, Valeska, at the bail hearing, there is the possibility that he may pre-disposed towards the defense. It was also Judge Nail who put a home monitoring device on Watson, where the charge is a capital murder charge, which is probably rare, if ever done. You have a prosecutor whose public reputation is severely tarnished. There will also be an underlying, unspoken motive to save the state the huge expense that will be involved in this case.

We will find out at the end of April. Personally, I don't think things look good for a trial under these conditions. I think Tina's parents need to prepare themselves for this very real possibility. My heart goes out to them. There is no doubt that they have suffered greatly from the uncaring, lying, outrageous, slimy behavior of their former son-in-law which was witnessed and reported by numerous people, not just Tina's family and friends.

Last edited:
I have only read the 1st & last pages of this story and can't help to wonder what on earth this bride of only 11 days could have done to this man to irritate him in such a way that he killed her so cold bloodedly and deliberately ? We currently have a case in SA where an Indian person apparently had his wife of 1 week killed here while being on their honeymoon. They are from the UK - she was a beautiful girl - how can it possibly go wrong that quickly ?

Amazing that the diver admitted eventually that he had done it ....He married again - does the new wife know about all this baggage and still married him ? People never cease to amaze me sometimes...
What he admitted to was failing to come adequately to her aid, which justified (rather tenuously in my view) the charge of manslaughter (in this case, homicide by negligence)

And sometimes you have evidence that corroborates a witness account and sometimes you have witnesses who agree on key elements. That is why you have a trial.

However, there may not be a trial in this case if the defense wins their pre-trial motion to dismiss. Since the pre-trial motions will be before judge Nail, the same judge who openly ridiculed the prosecutor, Valeska, at the bail hearing, there is the possibility that he may pre-disposed towards the defense. It was also Judge Nail who put a home monitoring device on Watson, where the charge is a capital murder charge, which is probably rare, if ever done. You have a prosecutor whose public reputation is severely tarnished. There will also be an underlying, unspoken motive to save the state the huge expense that will be involved in this case.

We will find out at the end of April. Personally, I don't think things look good for a trial under these conditions. I think Tina's parents need to prepare themselves for this very real possibility. My heart goes out to them. There is no doubt that they have suffered greatly from the uncaring, lying, outrageous, slimy behavior of their former son-in-law which was witnessed and reported by numerous people, not just Tina's family and friends.
Perhaps Tina's parents, and others, need to prepare for the possibility that in fact Watson did not do it. I'm not sure what be worse for them though, to have the charges dismissed BEFORE a trial, or for Watson to be found not guilty AFTER a trial. I suspect that if he walks free by either route, they will not be satisfied. Presumably they're not too happy that the death penalty is off the table to begin with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom