Watermarks on Images

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cacia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I am not sure this is the correct thread...

Just curious: I have noticed photographers with very large and imposing watermarks to protect their work. I have also noticed that the very best photographers (ex.Jason Bradley, Berkley of Backscatter) do not seem to do this. Does anyone know the thinking on this subject and also, if anyone could clue me in on how to encode (maybe not the correct term) on a website so that the image cannot be downloaded... It seems like a much more sophisticated and practical option. I mean David Doubilet doesn't plaster his name across his images, so why would I?

Watermarks can be done my many programs including photoshop. as for preventing images from being dowloaded I do not think that is truley possible.

As for not being able to save it, the only easy way is to use Flash to display the images, however this is easily overcome by windows print screen function, so its not fool proof, But it will prevent probably 40% of theft attempts.

catherine96821:
<snip> if anyone could clue me in on how to encode (maybe not the correct term) on a website so that the image cannot be downloaded... <snip>
Catherine, there's lots of code that will make it harder to casually save your work from the web, all of which will do nothing to prevent a knowlegable, unscrupilous person.

All the best, James

fdog:
Catherine, there's lots of code that will make it harder to casually save your work from the web, all of which will do nothing to prevent a knowlegable, unscrupilous person.

All the best, James

Thanks you guys! Pearl: (of Pearl web design) Help Me.

Unfortunately none of the "code" examples are effective on Mozilla's Firefox browser.

If your really concerned and it could cause financial damage if your photgraphs are copied, than I suggest to only place small low res thumbnails of your photos online.

About Digimarc, I used it for a couple of years. But their fees to access the results from their spider were pretty high so I stopped using them. And the spider only catches people who are displaying your images online.

A simple solution would be to save all your images as jpeg's at screen resolution, 72ppi. It won't prevent someone from viewing them or saving them on their computer, but they won't print very well. I worked in the late 90's for an art museum and that's what we did.

catherine96821:
I am not sure this is the correct thread...

Just curious: I have noticed photographers with very large and imposing watermarks to protect their work. I have also noticed that the very best photographers (ex.Jason Bradley, Berkley of Backscatter) do not seem to do this. Does anyone know the thinking on this subject and also, if anyone could clue me in on how to encode (maybe not the correct term) on a website so that the image cannot be downloaded... It seems like a much more sophisticated and practical option. I mean David Doubilet doesn't plaster his name across his images, so why would I?

You can't prevent an image from being downloaded if it can be viewed. Once it is on a person's screen and being viewed it is in effect already downloaded. BUT you can post a reduced resolution image on the web and keep the high res version for yourself. Many professionals will post low res and sell high res prints

Yes, some poor photographs have those ugly watermarks on them. Lots of peole think their work is better than it really is or maybe it makes tham feel importent if they print "copyright 2005 by XXX" I don't know.

Most of us don't make a living with photography and actually like to share our work. One good option is "creative commons" read more here: http://creativecommons.org/

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom