Watermarks on Images

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another thing you might consider doing is registering any photos you display online with the US patent and copyright office. It's relatively inexpensive, and you can send a DVD with literally thousands of thumbnail photos on it for one registration fee.

Although this won't prevent someone from stealing your images, it does give you more legal clout. And, as I understand it, under US Copyright law, you can only sue for punative damages if the images are registered. Or at least, that makes the liklihood of your recovering damages greater.

Dive Safely.

Jeff

pearl4diving:
Thanks James! This site was very useful.

Pearl (of Pearl Web Designs)

Come on people. I have to agree with ChrisA here.

How much do you think your photos are worth? And how much business do you think you'll lose if someone were to steal your photos?

As for all those browser tricks, they mean SQUAT! Any computer literate person knows how to steal an image. It's VERY simple:
1) Load appropriate webpage...
2) Hit "Print Screen"... which puts the screen onto the clipboard...
3) Open MS Paint... (or pretty much any graphic program)...
4) Paste the image...
5) Edit as required and save.

It's not rocket science.

Why does everybody feel so threatened by the Internet??

- ChillyWaters

ChillyWaters:
Why does everybody feel so threatened by the Internet??

I'm not sure it's threatened by the internet, more the possibility that someone will claim your work as there own, while most of us are complete amatures at this, and we know our photos aren't worth much to anyone but us, we all have the occasional photo that is good that we'd like to think would be good :)

It's not the internet so much as the volume of people who are now suddenly able to look at any picture you place upon it. (it's the same argument being used in the Music Industry fight right now).

catherine96821:
I am not sure this is the correct thread...

Just curious: I have noticed photographers with very large and imposing watermarks to protect their work. I have also noticed that the very best photographers (ex.Jason Bradley, Berkley of Backscatter) do not seem to do this. Does anyone know the thinking on this subject and also, if anyone could clue me in on how to encode (maybe not the correct term) on a website so that the image cannot be downloaded... It seems like a much more sophisticated and practical option. I mean David Doubilet doesn't plaster his name across his images, so why would I?

Hi Catherine,

There are no shortage of VERY respected photographers on the web who use watermarks to discourage prople from image theft. Look at Art Wolf's site. Certainly one of the worlds leading landscape and wildlife photographer's. Any image that is bigger than 3x5inch screen shot has his logo right through the middle....

The photographer's you mention may not use watermarks, but they are certainly not posting large and printable images on the backscatter site.

There are TWO ways if discouraging people from saving and using images. Size, and Watermarks. IMO Watermarks are more effective, but many use both.

There is NO way of protecting an image on the web. You can make it harder for someone to get at it, but by the virture of the fact that the image is ON the screen, it is ON the harddrive, and there is NO way to prevent someone from getting access to THEIR hard drive to prevent YOUR image from getting downloaded and saved....

So, if a person can make a few hundred bucks a year selling a few pics now and then as a side business, they shouldn't try to protect their work?

what am I missing? Or, rather, where is the line between a pic that is "good enough" to carry a copyright watermark and one that isn't?

I put my photos and other content on internet, even in full format. I've got some remarks on my site (somewhere) that if anyone likes to use the content please notify the author.

I've the experience that this is often done. I regularly get request from people wanting to use my content in articles, etc.

Ok, I admit, I'm not aware of those who use my content without notifying. I only once found a picture I took on another website.

I don't care very much about this. Agree with ChrisA. But that's my vision on how internet should be used: share as much as possible and do it for free!:eyebrow:

If you don't want your content 'spoiled' or you want to make a few bucks, don't publish it on the internet. Or, in case of photos, put on a small format.
Putting a watermark on your pictures and getting your (copy)right are two different things....

My 2 cents, I put my name on my pictures because I'm proud of them and I want people to know I took them. I realize that its not pro work, but I like them. When I see an awesome photo I like to see who took it. I don't think people should feel bad about putting their name on their work. Those gigantic watermarks are a different story.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom