Water as weight rather than lead?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

simbrooks:
heh you are a lawyer, on the way to his first million i am sure (thieving, lying, backstabbing, ambulance chasing......).

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

simbrooks:
heh you are a lawyer, on the way to his first million i am sure (thieving, lying, backstabbing, ambulance chasing......).

dweeb:
Not that there's anything wrong with that.

dweeb, i think there might be a future for us after all...

H2Andy:
dang it... that's what the guy on the Psychic Hotline told me too... must be some truth to it
I just do what the voices tell me. Saves time, and cuts down on the 1-900 charges

I don't know if this makes you feel any better about the initial question, but, if you were asking about using water as ballast for a sailing vessel as opposed to lead, it would be perfectly valid. They actually used to do that...! (and I believe they still might in some cases..........

FreeFloat:
if you were asking about using water as ballast for a sailing vessel as opposed to lead, it would be perfectly valid. They actually used to do that...!

they still do for large container vessels and oil tankers. It causes all sorts of problems with oil slicks when they pump it out, and the ttansportation of speciae from one place to another. There is a global problem due to a japanese starfish that is spreading around the world this way right now.

cancun mark:
I figure that it is aproximately 40-60% salt, therefore a liter weighs about 1.5 kg.

The dead sea is 15% saline at the surface, increasing with depth to saturation at the deepest point of 330m where salt actually precipitates onto the bottom.

The Dead Sea mineral content is:

53% magnesum chloride, solubility 54%,
37% potassium chloride, solubility 25%,
8% sodium chloride, solubility 26% (all at 20C)

For average saturation point of 40% by weight.

So, at a depth where a diver on air could retrieve a sample, it would be about 18%.

cancun mark:
If you are wearing a drysuit and need 10 Kg of weight you would need 20 litres of water, so that would be just over 5 gallons, with aproximately 6% more if you are planning to dive in the ocean rather than in fresh water.

20 liters of an 18% solution would weigh 23.6kg and displace 20kg of fresh water, for a negative buoyancy of 3.kg, so if you need 10 kg, you'd need 55 liters, which would weigh 64kg, which would be like carrying three extra tanks or more.

cancun mark:
Andy, you need a five gallon water bottle of dead sea water and you can prove that Dweeb is a pompus ***.

No, he'd need 14 gallons, and all he'd prove would be that his back was stronger than his mind, for carrying all that down to the water in order to prove that his own supposition was absurd.

cancun mark:
I just love science.

But love without respect is just adolescent infatuation.
Andy said he loved science, too, but he doesn't understand it. This little triangle is a little twisted.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom