Watch with Similar Algorithm for Partner (and buddy)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a feeling that Garmin will be coming out with a MK2 in the not too distant future. Who knows what else will be available in a couple years, progress has been reasonably rapid recently. I almost bought a Perdix AI just before the Teric came out.

There may be other benefits to getting the same computer as your partner, beyond simply running the same algorithm

The problem with the Descent in your situation is the Shearwater Teric. The Teric is a better high-end watch-sized dive computer (e.g., much better display, better UI for diving, better compass, air integration option, greater knowledge base as a tech computer). The Descent's advantage is all of its non-diving capabilities. But you already have those in your Fenix. Why spend the money to duplicate what you already have?

Better to get the Geo 4 for both of you. It's everything you need in a dive computer unless and until you get into technical diving. And even then it will be a perfect backup or only computer for your non-tech dives. If and when you get to a point where you need something more sophisticated than the Geo 4, Garmin may well have reduced the gap to Shearwater. Or when you are ready to upgrade your Fenix you can take another look since presumably any new Fenix features will be included in future versions of the Descent. Anyway by then, you'll have a much better idea of exactly what you want from a dive computer.

I discourage people in our (UK) club from buying expensive computers when starting out.

On balance they are unlikely to be doing multi gas diving, so a simple single gas computer will do. Even for entry level accelerated deco a Aqualung 300C is fine. Until you are doing trimix or CCR you don’t need an expensively computer. At that point you will have had training with people actually doing those dives and you may find that your opinion on what you want has changed.

A Teric or Garmin is the best part of a grand. That is the price of a fine drysuit. The value difference of a good drysuit is hugely bigger than than of a fancy computer. I would much rather be dry and warm and use tables than be cold or wet and use a fancy computer.

The only real difference in low end computers is how many buttons they have. Find one you can set the Nitrox mix on without swearing. If you are absolutely convinced the future lies in down hour long ascents and staring and admiring comb jellies for half an hour, buy one with two gasses.

For all those hanging on the edge of your seats for my decision, I decided to pick up a couple of Geo 4s - the fancy tec computer can wait. We've got a trip booked to Sri Lanka in December so they'll get their first run out then! Thanks again for your help.

One question I do have - the Oceanic website/manual says for the manufacturers warranty to remain valid I have to have bought it from an authorised dealer and get it serviced by an authorised dealer. There is no authorised dealer in the UK according to their website - International - does this mean I've bought it from an unauthorised dealer? Do I therefore (i) have no warranty outside my statutory rights; and/or (ii) have to send it to Europe for a service to maintain my two year Oceanic warranty?

This is true of bubble models but not of ZH-L. ZH-L's really quite simple. It was not designed for no-stop diving, like DSAT, it has no built-in fudge factors for repetitive diving like RGBM nor the bubble radius magic to penalize for "bad" profiles and excessive ascent rates like RGBM/VPM. SB Shearwater fan club considers this "a feature", if I were designing a computer for OW cluebies I'd consider it more of a liability.
I've read this post 3 times and can't figure out what you are trying to say.

I have my suspicions that you bought from a grey market dealer. You can get in contact with Huish Outdoors, the parent company for Oceanic, re registration (Huish Outdoors LLC announces distribution of Oceanic and Hollis in the UK & Ireland). Based on this website, you might have a hope of the shop being a registered dealer but I'm not sure.

Thanks. I bought from Scuba Diving Equipment At Low Prices | Scuba Diving Gear | Snorkelling | Go Dive which is a shop in Derby, but no mention of them being an authorised dealer - I've emailed them to ask. I've also e-mailed Huish/Oceanic US.

If it is indeed grey market does that basically mean Oceanic won't honour their manufacturers warranty?

I've read this post 3 times and can't figure out what you are trying to say.

What else's new.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom