Watch with Similar Algorithm for Partner (and buddy)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ross9

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all - I'm looking at buying myself a Garmin Descent Mk1 (unless they release a Mk2 shortly...) for my first dive computer. I'm into my triathlon (currently have the Garmin Fenix 3HR, which I love) so I'm justifying the cost to myself because I'll use it as my day to day watch and for sports.

I'm also going to get my partner her first computer for Christmas. She's less fussed about extra features which is good because I can't afford two Garmins. However she's as keen on diving as I am so I'm looking for something that will last as we get more experienced. We're both at around 30 dives so still fairly new. We both have AOW and are looking to add deep on our next trip. I like the idea of tec in the future, she's less fussed.

I presume it makes sense for us to have DCs with similar algorithms. I've read the Garmin uses the Buhlmann ZHL-16C but has adjustable conservatism settings. What's a good recommendation for her watch if I'm picking up a Garmin? Budget probably tops out around £300-350.

Thanks!

Hi @ross9

You will not find a dive computer running Buhlmann ZH-L16C with preset and/or custom GF in your price range. The least expensive is probably more like 425-500 pounds, dependent on features

Much depends on how you will dive your Garmin. If you dive a GF high of 95, DSAT matches reasonably well. It you dive a GF high of 85, PZ+ matches OK. Both of these algorithms run on Oceanic computers. The Veo 4, puck, and the Geo 4, watch, fit into or below your price range.

Undoubtedly, you will get many other recommendations. Best of luck.

Hi @ross9

You will not find a dive computer running Buhlmann ZH-L16C in your price range. The least expensive is probably more like 425-500 pounds, dependent on features

Much depends on how you will dive your Garmin. If you dive a GF high of 95, DSAT matches reasonably well. It you dive a GF high of 85, PZ+ matches OK. Both of these algorithms run on Oceanic computers. The Veo 4, puck, and the Geo 4, watch, fit into or below your price range.

Doesn't the Oceanic Geo 2.0 also run ZHL-16C ? On sale in the US for ~$270, no idea about the UK pricing. . .

Doesn't the Oceanic Geo 2.0 also run ZHL-16C ? On sale in the US for ~$270, no idea about the UK pricing. . .
The Geo 2 runs DSAT and PZ+, same as Geo 4. The Geo 2 has been discontinued, but may still be available from some sources at the close out price. It is no longer available from Leisure Pro. Geo 2 requires cable ($100) to download, Geo 4 has Bluetooth.

PZ+ is a proprietary Buhlmann variant from Pelagic Pressure Systems. It seems to run somewhere around 40/85. It has one conservative setting that runs it at altitude setting for 3001-4000 feet, and makes it very conservative.

Hi @ross9

You will not find a dive computer running Buhlmann ZH-L16C with preset and/or custom GF in your price range. The least expensive is probably more like 425-500 pounds, dependent on features

That's good to know, thanks.

Out of interest, why is this particular algorithm only paired with more expensive computers?

Is the 'conservatism setting' on the Garmin effectively changing the GF? I had to google 'GF' btw - to give you an idea of my level of knowledge.

Hi @ross9

Good question, why is there no relatively simple, inexpensive computer running Buhlmann ZH-L16C with standard presets?

Yes, changing the GFs changes the conservatism. Only GF high pertains to no stop diving (within NDL). You have a new topic to learn.

Hi all - I'm looking at buying myself a Garmin Descent Mk1 (unless they release a Mk2 shortly...) for my first dive computer. I'm into my triathlon (currently have the Garmin Fenix 3HR, which I love) so I'm justifying the cost to myself because I'll use it as my day to day watch and for sports.

I'm also going to get my partner her first computer for Christmas. She's less fussed about extra features which is good because I can't afford two Garmins. However she's as keen on diving as I am so I'm looking for something that will last as we get more experienced. We're both at around 30 dives so still fairly new. We both have AOW and are looking to add deep on our next trip. I like the idea of tec in the future, she's less fussed.

I presume it makes sense for us to have DCs with similar algorithms. I've read the Garmin uses the Buhlmann ZHL-16C but has adjustable conservatism settings. What's a good recommendation for her watch if I'm picking up a Garmin? Budget probably tops out around £300-350.

Thanks!
Genesis Scuba (part of Sherwood) will soon be introducing the Centauri wrist computer, running ZH-L-16C and 3 conservative settings. (no specifics on those settings yet)
I don't know what their distribution is like outside the US, MSRP will be $345, probably selling for $300. I doubt this is a unique new item, so there is probably another version under a different brand name out there already.

Genesis Scuba (part of Sherwood) will soon be introducing the Centauri wrist computer, running ZH-L-16C and 3 conservative settings. (no specifics on those settings yet)
I don't know what their distribution is like outside the US, MSRP will be $345, probably selling for $300. I doubt this is a unique new item, so there is probably another version under a different brand name out there already.
That's interesting. Currently, Genesis sells older computers manufactured by Pelagic Pressure Systems, running DSAT. I can't find anything regarding the Centauri, maybe after DEMA in a couple weeks. You may have inside information, being a dive professional in a shop. If this is correct, and it is a reliable product, this could prove to be a nice addition to entry level dive computers.

Though they did not run Buhlmann ZH-L16C with GF, the Deepblu Cosmic and the Watoon Cyano turned out not to be the reliable computers they were meant to be.

We'll see

That's interesting. Currently, Genesis sells older computers manufactured by Pelagic Pressure Systems, running DSAT. I can't find anything regarding the Centauri, maybe after DEMA in a couple weeks. You may have inside information, being a dive professional in a shop. If this is correct, and it is a reliable product, this could prove to be a nice addition to entry level dive computers.

Though they did not run Buhlmann ZH-L16C with GF, the Deepblu Cosmic and the Watoon Cyano turned out not to be the reliable computers they were meant to be.

We'll see
They are putting some work into the Genesis line - I have the 2020 catalog. This will be the only computer, no Pelagics. They also didn't have ANY regulator or BCD last year, now will have one of each.
I asked for a manual on the computer, and who makes it. No luck yet on either point.

However she's as keen on diving as I am so I'm looking for something that will last as we get more experienced. We're both at around 30 dives so still fairly new. We both have AOW and are looking to add deep on our next trip.

Probably the nearest entry level Computer you'll get is a OSTC Sport from Heinrichs Weikamp They're a really reputable brand, but they don't sell to the US (so no one here talks about them) Unfortunately it'll be about £430 - but hey your partners worth it, right?

On the upside you can steal it to do tec because in the future you can upgrade it to Trimix which you can't with the Garmin

In the future your Garmin might not be the computer you want because it's not really a Technical computer, and in the future there will be new models from the established manufacturers.

So you could go with your Garmin and suck it up and buy an OSTC or you could drop the Garmin as a Dive computer option and maybe buy a pair of Computers in the £250 - £300 range.

If you're only making occasional vacation dives right now that might be the choice (many 1000's of people make live aboard trips using RGBM computers with no problems nor limitations)

Anyway just a thought

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom