Watch this video of the Blue Hole of Dahab before it is deleted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Off the top of my head, I can think of two trimix *instructors* I've been in the water with, who looked like they themselves needed to go back to OW training. Like everyone else commenting, of course I shake my head at these situations, but I can easily accept that there are enough bad instructors out there, that there are bound to be several similarly-skilled (or rather, unskilled) hypoxic-certified divers who don’t even realize that they are lacking fundamental skills (never mind advanced skills required for hypoxic level certifications).

...As others have noted, Diver #1 looks like a newly certified OW diver at best. In fact, I would be embarrassed if one of my newly certified OW divers looked like that. If he did indeed show a trimix card, it had to have been faked. I cannot believe he ever even took such a class, let alone passed it...

Sad. But there will be more of these situations. Some may not end as well as this one did.

After days of thinking about this video, I still can’t get over the divers attitude. I like scuba diving, but I’m still pretty scared and therefore careful while diving. I can’t imagine just saying “**** it let’s do 100 m” and when the dive starts and goes to **** still going along with it. Is it possible he doesn’t realize he could easily die?

I have a mate who runs a dive centre out there. He gets these mad Russians with 5-6 dives coming in all the time asking to be taken to 100+ meters.

I presume that your friend is very familiar with the phrase “Nyet comrade.”:)

I could not watch more than the initial 20 seconds or so of the video. When the guided diver had to be handed his inflator/dump prior to beginning the descent, I’d seen enough. I’ve read the thread and find that the only gratifying aspect of it is that this individual survived.

[QUOTE="drk5036, post: 8538371, member: 499136" Is it possible he doesn’t realize he could easily die?[/QUOTE]
Maybe he does not care? Russians are known for this kind of attitude. I don't get it either, but it happens.

When they guy started swimming with his arms, while wearing all that tech gear, I knew that it wasn't going to end well.

I recently returned from Dahab, this video stirred up a lot a few months ago. The general question was the same as on the board, but apparently the guy showed up with a trimix cert and paid for the dive and gasses. Eventually Mr. Omar left Dahab and hasn't returned yet.

This time a video went onto the internet, showing a cascade of errors before the guide thumbed the dive. But so many more tourists show up at techdivecenters, showing a high-risk-plan to dive, just to save on the helium. The better shops send them away, other shops who are more desperate for the money, accept these divers and let them dive their plan.

I wonder which instructor name was on that trimix card (if it was a real certcard!). That is something nobody seems to know.

An interesting development is that the video is no longer listed under the name Mina Henry, who is a real person according to a TDI trimix cert from a few years ago. The video is now listed under Tarek Omar, the “bone collector”, who was presumedly also the dive guide as referenced in the video information section. The title has also been modified to add the word “scandal”.

What irks me the most about this....

I'm not a tech diver. 100 or so dives in, I'm fixing to take a sidemount class in Houston in a couple of weeks, and when I get my personal fitness and dive skills back to the point I feel comfortable I will approach the instructor about tech classes. I have done some pretty nasty blackwater/entanglement/overhead dives with the fire dept I was with.

All that being said, even I can point out 10+ MAJOR red flags in what they're doing. Gear configuration that should never be in the water at any depth, trim issues..... yall know what's wrong, a helluva lot better than me.

Why if I, a mildly experienced diver with no tech training that's read and studied a bit on the net, can see know this, could someone whom spent that much time and money to go dive not do any research?

I guess I grew up poor.... i work for what I have now, I've just never had the kind of money that would encourage me to make a trip and do something that stupid without a little research.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom