Watch this video of the Blue Hole of Dahab before it is deleted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Forget the student. I want to know what's up with this guy's third leg...

That works with his depth gauge. When he hears it scraping along the bottom, he knows he's near the bottom. I use the lower unit on my outboard the same way on occasion. When I hear the bang and the scrape, I know I'm "there".

The subject of the video was taboo when I was in Dahab in June.

All of the shops are apparently watching each other more closely as a result. If an incident occurs with a shop and they do not take some sort of immediate corrective action, they are definitely exposing themselves. The Egyptian regulatory agency CDWS has a significant number of regulations which both recreational and technical dive shops must follow.

I am sort of surprised that the video was made public and it is still accessible. Dahab like every other major dive site does not like negative publicity. I was told they even stopped allowing people to put memorial plaques up on the hill to El Bells around 2011.

It is a great training tool. I use it in tec classes when you are suppose to discuss what can go wrong during a dive.

The subject of the video was taboo when I was in Dahab in June.

All of the shops are apparently watching each other more closely as a result. If an incident occurs with a shop and they do not take some sort of immediate corrective action, they are definitely exposing themselves. The Egyptian regulatory agency CDWS has a significant number of regulations which both recreational and technical dive shops must follow.

I am sort of surprised that the video was made public and it is still accessible. Dahab like every other major dive site does not like negative publicity. I was told they even stopped allowing people to put memorial plaques up on the hill to El Bells around 2011.

It is a great training tool. I use it in tec classes when you are suppose to discuss what can go wrong during a dive.
I think you just show students the entire video and tell them "Don't do anything at all that the diver in this video does and you will be a safer diver!". It is almost easier to pick out the very few good bits than everything the diver does wrong.

I suspect I know the answer but I will ask anyway: don't they do check out dives in this area of the world ?

I cannot do this kind of dives, but if I could, I would still do a checkout dive when arriving in a new area just to make sure that everything is working ?

I suspect I know the answer but I will ask anyway: don't they dp check out dives in this area of the world ?

There are certainly a lot of questions to be raised, and have been raised in relation to this video.
I dived in Dahab in 2012 and would not say this is representative of the dive industry in that area. We did our AOW and our instructor was nothing but professional throughout.
As I said previously in this thread a few months back, the massive downturn in tourism in recent years in that area and possible financial difficulties may have led to this particular instructor put profit before safety...
but I would not tar the entire industry in that area with the same brush.
For what it's worth, we were in Marsa Alam in April this year and we did have to do a “check dive” involving doing a few skills with the DM at the beginning.

There are certainly a lot of questions to be raised, and have been raised in relation to this video.
I dived in Dahab in 2012 and would not say this is representative of the dive industry in that area. We did our AOW and our instructor was nothing but professional throughout.
As I said previously in this thread a few months back, the massive downturn in tourism in recent years in that area and possible financial difficulties may have led to this particular instructor put profit before safety...
but I would not tar the entire industry in that area with the same brush.
For what it's worth, we were in Marsa Alam in April this year and we did have to do a “check dive” involving doing a few skills with the DM at the beginning.
You are right, I shouldn’t assume that this is representative of the local shops. Apologies.

I am just a beginner tech diver, but I understand that normal dive guides / instructors never ever would take customer to 100 m depth even if he/she shows card and pays for the everything upfront without proper skills assessment. For Advanced trimix, Advanced wreck, Cave courses/ dives initially is done check dive where you are being assessed and determined whether you are on appropriate level to take such course or dive.

Also, this diver had only 1 dive computer instead of two. If I am not mistaken, this dive computer was Cressi Leonardo and could be used as bottom timer only (it only has air and nitrox gas modes). Besides I did not see any dive plan on this diver wrist. It seems that incompetent diver without proper equipment was takes to such depth. I am TDI Helitrox certified, however, 67 m is a very deep... it is already a trimix / advanced trimix level. I would never go to such depth without proper equipment, dive plan. I am really surprised that instructor risked client's and his own life for few dollars.

Also, this diver had only 1 dive computer instead of two. If I am not mistaken, this dive computer was Cressi Leonardo and could be used as bottom timer only (it only has air and nitrox gas modes). Besides I did not see any dive plan on this diver wrist.

Not disagreeing but why would you need anything other than a bottom timer for what is basically a quick bounce dive? (Or am I mistaken about the dive and there's a whole lot of multi-level ledges there to explore?) Along those lines, on a dive like this what's the problem with keeping your slate (yes, you should have one with the plan written down on it) in your pocket as a backup and running off the DM's one?

Not disagreeing but why would you need anything other than a bottom timer for what is basically a quick bounce dive? (Or am I mistaken about the dive and there's a whole lot of multi-level ledges there to explore?) Along those lines, on a dive like this what's the problem with keeping your slate (yes, you should have one with the plan written down on it) in your pocket as a backup and running off the DM's one?

I guess you are trolling... if not, then my short answer will not help you.

What you're advocating is dangerous in a non overhead environment. I can't imagine that mindset in a technical environment.

Theres nothing wrong with a slate and bottom timer, but you're still talking a single timer.

Relying on someone else for your survival is a good way to get killed in any dive environment.....deco is not necessary

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom