Watch this video of the Blue Hole of Dahab before it is deleted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just a question from a rec diver......nitrox/air only and all dives within NDL. Do you switch gases while descending ?

If you start with a sufficiently hypoxic mix, yes. You need to breathe a gas that sustains consciousness, all the time.

Just a question from a rec diver......nitrox/air only and all dives within NDL. Do you switch gases while descending ?

It's called travel gas. You need something that is breathable in shallow water, and your back gas may not have enough oxygen in it to give you a safe PO2 (above 0.16) until you have descended a bit.

I believe the fins are Aquatecs. They come in a variety of colors and are short like that. They are the same design as the UTD precision fins. The aquatecs are rubber rather than a thermopolymer like the the eddy fins.

OK, if this guy and his buddy are desperate to get their 100m blue hole T Shirt I have 3 possible solutions, as follows:

Option 1
Take the time, money and effort to get properly trained.

Option 2
Carry on exactly as before, ignoring all obvious dangers. A nice touch could be the T Shirt ceremoniously draped over the coffin.

Option 3
This will require the following equipment
2 x dive computer
1 x 100m reel
1 x 6 pack of beer
1 x pedlo / sciff

Instructions: load pedlo with above equipment, pedal to descent point, attach dive comps to reel (see photo), unreel to extent of line, open 2 x beer, congratulate buddy on job well done.

Note; for extra bragging rights, follow deco schedule and employ local support diver to carry out appropriate comp gas switches at required depth.

IMG_20190125_101923.jpg

Is that a button gauge on the right post?

OK, if this guy and his buddy are desperate to get their 100m blue hole T Shirt I have 3 possible solutions, as follows:

Option 1
Take the time, money and effort to get properly trained.

Option 2
Carry on exactly as before, ignoring all obvious dangers. A nice touch could be the T Shirt ceremoniously draped over the coffin.

Option 3
This will require the following equipment
2 x dive computer
1 x 100m reel
1 x 6 pack of beer
1 x pedlo / sciff

Instructions: load pedlo with above equipment, pedal to descent point, attach dive comps to reel (see photo), unreel to extent of line, open 2 x beer, congratulate buddy on job well done.

Note; for extra bragging rights, follow deco schedule and employ local support diver to carry out appropriate comp gas switches at required depth.

View attachment 501318

Sounds like you have done option 3. You have all of the necessary gears for it :D

Sounds like you have done option 3. You have all of the necessary gears for it :D

Tempting, especially if you fancy binning a night dive in favour of the bar! Funnily enough I have heard of this being done. Maybe an urban myth, who knows?

Here is my speculation on what we are seeing in this video.

1. Two divers not affiliated with each other signed up for a guided dive to 100 meters.
2. The guided dive deal included a video of the experience, with the video coming from a GoPro type camera on the guide's head. The guide intended that the video would show both divers as they went to that depth and returned.
3. The guide quickly realized that Diver #1 needed a whole lot of TLC, which is why the video focuses on him much more than Diver #2.
4. When the guide finally realized how truly hopeless it is, he turned the dive.
5. Both divers receive their promised video, and Diver #2 posted it. He may have edited it further make the focus even more on Diver #1.

As others have noted, Diver #1 looks like a newly certified OW diver at best. In fact, I would be embarrassed if one of my newly certified OW divers looked like that. If he did indeed show a trimix card, it had to have been faked. I cannot believe he ever even took such a class, let alone passed it. Because of that, I have to believe there were red flags before they got in the water, let alone after the dive began. The guide must have realized much earlier that the dive needed to be thumbed.

So why did the dive continue as long as it did?

More speculation: The dive operation sold the dive to two customers, and it needed both divers to make the dive profitable. There may even have been a stipulation that they would reach at least 67 meters for the dive to count without a refund. The trip might not have run with only one diver. I experienced this when I was trying to be the tech instructor for a shop in Colorado. They would not run a class for one student because there was not enough profit in it. This was a serious problem because there were not enough potential students to make that happen. In order to teach tech, I had to disengage from the shop and teach independently. By eliminating the shop's need to take by far most of the students' fees, I was able to teach classes with only one student.

That guy is like the ski jumper on on the opening of the old Saturday afternoon ABC show the Wide World of Sports.

For those of you, too young to have seen that, the image of the ski jumper dramatically wiping out is accompanied by the narration “the thrill of victory and the AGONY OF DEFEAT”. Apparently, he was from some remote country. ABC used this for years before the ski jumper learned that he was world famous.

I wonder how long it will be before this guy sees the video.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom