Watch out what you post!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We had a doctor here in California who got frustrated by having to drive behind bicyclists on a narrow winding road. He passed them and then slammed on his brakes. One of them hit him. If recollection serves, he served time in State Prison. His medical license was also revoked as a result of the conviction.

OTOH: I heard of a lawsuit against a store because it would not permit someone to bring their "service animal" into the store ... It was a miniature horse that allegedly pulled his wheelchair and was trained like a dog.

It's Bruce

I gather from a few articles I have read that some of the comments on Spearboard could have be deemed defamatory, but it seems that what you have outlined for California makes it hard for people to push this issue. If the outcry at the doctor’s wrist slap for what he has done is genuine, isn’t this issue more about the laws in place in Florida than about the Dr.’s good name?

Also, if the defamation goes on public record as you suggest, does this make it all the more likely that Murphy will be able to claim greater damages in an upcoming civil suit for the doctor’s alleged misdeeds?

Has Murphy gone forward with such a suit?

A few people who have spoken about this and Florida in general have claimed that Florida (apparently unlike California) allows bad people to get away with such things and then claim defamation. I worry for Murphy that the wrist slap that the good doctor was lucky enough to receive is also going to also be granted him in a civil suit that should really hit him where it hurts. Has this already happened?

Cheers!

Dr. Roger J. Nicosia Jr., DO, Stuart, FL - Emergency Medicine

I found this interesting. You should read his reviews and such. It is pretty obvious what they are about.

I have to wonder if if the patients who took part in the surveys have since sought legal council. IJS.

Perhaps.
Internet is fickle friend. (Why am I thinking of Robert Heinline quote) lol

hmmm freedom of speech. plus slander is supposed to be a non truth. If the guy is missing two legs, I would think that would be truth in itself.

---------- Post added May 19th, 2012 at 10:23 AM ----------

perhaps we could round them up like lionfish:wink:. I will take my grilled with a lemon caper sauce.

I was just thinking... since the result of the criminal case was considered a 2nd degree misdemeanor with a paltry fine.. Is there any legal way for us in Florida to get the law changed so it's more serious? There are enough divers of VOTING AGE (*hint*) that we should be able to do something to help us in the future. Advice from a FL lawyer or lawmaker would be good. I know i would sign an actual petition for this and/or vote for the person who can help us with issues like these!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom