Big Guy, Out of Gas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, for a bit of perspective from "that guy"...

Here's the first post I made on this board just recently
Unusual challenge. Significant weight loss with diving as goal. - ScubaBoard

I'm over 300 (way over) and in the process of coming down. It's a chore, that's to be sure, but definitely worth it. Diving has always been something that I've been intensely interested in doing and sort of use it as the 'carrot' I dangle out there for once I reach a certain fitness benchmark.

Obviously, individual fitness levels vary greatly. I'm a big fat guy in the "offensive lineman" sense- I can still do physical activities, but my stamina for extended stuff is lousy. There are guys who weigh less than I do who can hardly roll out of bed.

THANK YOU for posting this. It really serves as a wake up call. There is just no way in hell I'd consider for a second diving a 100' wreck, as a new diver in this sort of physical condition. No way, no how. One day I definitely will, but to do so as a severely overweight individual is well outside my own tolerance for risk and frankly, should be for anyone else in this sort of shape.

People really, really need to be objective about their own physical capacities when engaging in activities like diving, etc. There is absolutely no room for personal sensitivity or self-delusion when your life is on the line. While I'm not particularly sensitive about my weight- I joke about it myself- others are hypersensitive about their own obesity and unwilling to address it in the context of engaging in high risk physical activities (as if being obese isn't high risk enough...)

I think divemasters should be very forthright in speaking plainly and openly with overweight people when it comes to going on a dive like this. It's one thing to be making bubbles in a training pool, something else entirely to be 100' down in an open water environment. While it's up to everyone to make their own decisions, there are times and places where individuals are unable to make a cogent decision for themselves. In the case of severely obese individuals wanting to go on deep, open water dives, this may be one of those cases. While I personally may be objective and rational about my own weight situation, there's no doubt that many- if not most- people in my same shape are very much IRRATIONAL about it and refuse to acknowledge that certain, realistic limitations may apply.

This is many times more critical when dealing with new divers who are overweight or obese, as they may not have the slightest inkling that the weight/fitness thing is even a concern. It's entirely possible that through their training, they didn't encounter one single person along the way who had the balls to step up and respectfully address the fact that they should limit themselves to certain diving situations and as a result, they just don't know any better. If you as a divemaster are uncomfortable with speaking up, ask yourself which from the following two options you find less appealing: Risking hurting someones feelings or carrying their dead body to the surface?

Last edited:
LM,

I always tell my Advanced Course students that if they don't learn anything from my course but learn what their physical and mental limitations are and have the wisdom and courage to dive within these limits, I have done my job and they have earn their certification. From what you said, you seem to have this wisdom and courage, my hat off to you!!!

I sincerely wish you all the success in meeting your goals. It takes a good man to realize and say the things you said in public.

Thank you so much for posting this! It was a really good read, and opened my eyes a bit.

I was curious, did he have a heart attack underwater?

I think you're being too hard on yourself. We all make choices in life, and he made his. You did what you could to help him and it's likely that you are the reason he was able to live another year. We all make our own choices and we take (or should take)a personal responsibility for them. He knew he was overweight and so did his instructor. Sadly, it appears that you took more of an interest in this guys well being than he did.

I'm sure it is traumatic for those that witness a dive fatality, for those that recover the bodies, etc.......but why is it so bad for someone with health issues to die doing something they enjoy?

You would never dream of saying, "Bob shouldn't golf because he's morbidly obese."
You would instead say, "Hey! At least Bob is out doing something."

Dying in a hospital is the least dignifying place to die I can think of.
I'd rather croak underwater!

You're right! Clearly people should never let a pesky little thing like morbid obesity stop them from doing what they want! If someone is so overweight that a particular activity might kill them, I say: "Why waste your time losing weight and getting healthy when instead you can just have fun and die!"

Seriously though, I get your point...if someone is severely overweight it's good if they find a way to get some excercise. But diving is too physically demanding to be the starting point of an excercise regimen...if you've got bad knees, you don't rehabilitate by running a 26 mile marathon.

You're right! Clearly people should never let a pesky little thing like morbid obesity stop them from doing what they want! If someone is so overweight that a particular activity might kill them, I say: "Why waste your time losing weight and getting healthy when instead you can just have fun and die!"

Seriously though, I get your point...if someone is severely overweight it's good if they find a way to get some excercise. But diving is too physically demanding to be the starting point of an excercise regimen...if you've got bad knees, you don't rehabilitate by running a 26 mile marathon.

You can be morbidly obese and still exercise. It is a good idea to get a green light from a physician for exercise if you are morbidly obese. But non weight bearing exercise works well for heavy people. Cycling and swimming are two of these. Also many gyms have equipment which allows for aerobic non weight bearing exercise.

Greetings O2fill and thank you for sharing your story and I hope that the guilt goes away it is misplaced my friend!
We all want to encourage people to dive safely however it is up to them to decide to dive or not! As much as we want to tell them no it is not our call.
They sign the waiver, they know what shape they are in, they accept the challenges that go with it.
If you were an instructor that they were seeking training from then you would have free reign to deny or put conditions on training! That is the instructors decision at that point.

From being a friend to a individual who suffered a dive emergency I can attest that you suffer many feelings and second guess all the times we had opportunities to say something.
When you come out of the water to see them on O2 and attended by EMT's it is a sobering moment to say the least.
Not only was it tramatic it was a nightmare for my instructor that I was DM'ing for.
To be involved in the incident at both levels was mind numbing!
Accident reports, responsibility issues, then the relational between friends and spouses it was HXXL!

Did it change me? Absolutely I will never be the same nor repeat this with anyone ever again.
I refuse to dive with anyone I feel is not up to it or a hazard to themselves or others.
Am I a snob? I hope no one confuses my attitude with that!
This is not an acceptable risk in my safe diving practices!
I will still lend assistance to those in need I can not help it even though I have been chastised for it this past season.

I placed myself at risk to help another diver in distress.
It was my call and not anyone else's, Did I second guess myself?
No but when my arm was tingling I fashioned a deco plan and descended back to 40' and started back up.
I was about clear before the incident and had plenty of gas to do rather long slow ascent.
When out of the water put myself on O2.
All was well this time!

I am not advocating risk taking behavior but I just reacted it is more about our personalities I guess.
If I could make a difference in an emergency then I am going to act!

CamG Keep diving....Keep training....Keep learning!

LM

Good luck in your efforts. It will be worth it. I guarantee it! And, when you're ready, reach out to me here and I'll take you to see some cool stuff! (I expect you'll get a lot of similar offers from supportive divers!)

Cheers

Thanks - that is very good advice. I appreciate the feedback.

Midget,

Thanks for your comment. I have often thought that, if I knew I was going to die, diving might not be a bad way to go but , let's face it dying sucks in either case. I almost died this summer (yes, while diving - check out my blog for details ) and it was no picnic. The problem with diving while morbidly obese is that diving, when combined with that condition, can kill you. Its not just the venue, its the cause.

But there's a bigger reason ... when diving while out of shape, how are you in a position to be a buddy to anyone else? I doubt that Steve could have hauled me up the wreck the way I hauled him. In addition, physical stress puts people in mentally stressed positions causing them to make mistakes as Steve did on the hang line. This put my lifew at risk as I shared my air and my regs with him.

Rescuing Steve was a very risky thing to do. Even so, many of us will do whatever we can to save a diver in trouble. Its the ethos of our sport. I would ask that people consider whether they are living up to that ethos.

Thanks for the post!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom