watch out for props!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hbhobby

Contributor
Reaction score
I just got back for a relaxing week at lake powell and just wanted to post a warning that was re-enforced during our trip. I was just swimming with the kids and heard some screams for "call 911" went to investigate and a group of "kids" had rented a boat for the day (lare amounts of ETOH was involved) and while someone was climbing on the back of the boat (with the motor running) the driver put it into reverse and sucked the climber into the prop and caused SEVERE trauma (he will probably lose the leg)

just remember to watch the blades they can be deadly!!!

I had this exact thing happen once a long time ago when I didn't know anything about boats. Lucky for us it only nicked a leg on a skier's leg. I was invited out on a boat where the starter or battery was not working right. So stupidly the boat owner would leave the motor running while setting up to water ski. I was helping him drive the boat because I was the only one not drinking beer i was younger and didn't really like beer that much. I didn't know she had gotten in the water yet the boat was spinning around I was trying to keep the boat in one spot which isn't really needed anyway in the middle of the lake. Years later I bought my own boat I always shut down the motor when anyone is getting in or out of the boat. If the boat has issues starting then I won't take it out to the lake.

prop doesnt turn in Neutral right ?

Since I was a kid i remember my dad ALWAYS shutting off the boat whenever people were in the water. Its just common sense, sadly things many people lack these days. Just think of it like a blender, you wouldn't stick your hand in a blender with it still running.

Since I was a kid i remember my dad ALWAYS shutting off the boat whenever people were in the water. Its just common sense, sadly things many people lack these days. Just think of it like a blender, you wouldn't stick your hand in a blender with it still running.

I wouldn't stick my hand in it if it were plugged in. Shut the motor down.

prop doesnt turn in Neutral right ?

You put you hand inside the prop while I yell out it's okay the motor is in Neutral :) The person in the water thought like you it was in neutral the guy that owned the boat thought also it was in neutral. The person behind the wheel thought everyone was in the boat because it was a smaller cabin cruiser was high off the water you couldn't see right behind the boat where she was while at the wheel. She did require stitches I was never invited again boating with them again which I don't blame them. I was really lucky nothing bad happened. Like I said I had zero experience with boats and was basically put behind the wheel because I wasn't drinking with not much training.

Somewhat related incident reported in another story - excerpting from BRIEF: Guatemalian tourist dies while snorkeling
In a separate incident Monday, a snorkeler was struck by a boat propeller while diving near the Bahia Honda Bridge in the Lower Keys.

According to initial reports from the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, Miami resident Denis Garcia, 32, suffered serious lacerations to his legs and feet but the wounds were not believed to be life-threatening.

Garcia did not have a diver-down flag near him, as legally required. He was cited for the violation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom