Washing gear after vacation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can soak the first stage as long it is under pressure (connected to a tank); the inside of the first stage is not supposed to get wet and the safest way to make sure water stays out is to pressurize it.

That's what I thought. Seemed a little like overkill to categorically say "don't soak the first stage." If I can spend an hour underwater with my reg attached to a tank, I'm sure it can stand an hour or two attached to a tank in a tub on my porch.

Tim

At this point I would suggest an hour min soak with mild soap then a rinse. It does not take long to do this
About an hour, minimum? :wink:

That's what I thought. Seemed a little like overkill to categorically say "don't soak the first stage." If I can spend an hour underwater with my reg attached to a tank, I'm sure it can stand an hour or two attached to a tank in a tub on my porch.
Most "vacation divers" won't have a pressurized tank handy to facilitate soaking.

I've always been curious. When everyone talks about soaking the reg pressurized, does that mean everyone has a pony they attach it to? What about twins?

I always soak my first stage, I fail to see how water can get past the o-ring which seals against the din cap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I've always been curious. When everyone talks about soaking the reg pressurized, does that mean everyone has a pony they attach it to? What about twins?

I always soak my first stage, I fail to see how water can get past the o-ring which seals against the din cap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

First of all not all dust caps are created equal. Most DIN caps are just boots. Any source of tiny bubbles is a source for water intrusion and we all know not to press the purge of an unpressurized second stage while it's submerged. Pressurizing solves all of these "what if's".

When I get home I mount the regulator back on the cylinder and the whole thing goes in a sun warmed barrel. The BC follows after the bladder is rinsed 3 times. I make an effort to do this as soon as I hit the driveway and may then go in for a break. My depleted cylinders almost always come home so I use them. If the outing ended with a drop-off then I use whatever is at home. If we both dive then all of the hoses go down in a 5 gal pail to soak the gadgets and I spray the first stages and cylinders including up in the boots.

Latter I do the rest of the gear in a smaller tub.

Pete

I have to agree, I have always (30+ years) soaked my regs with the din cap on and unpressurized.
Never had a problem and gear has lasted for decades.

i have had that o-ring come up missing a few times. inspect it closely as looks may be deceiving.

Thanks for the feedback. I didn't think the gear was ruined, I was basically being lazy. Didn't want to wash the gear if wasn't going to do any good. At this point I bought a small bottle sink the stink and will give my 3 mm a wash since won't use for a little while and will soak the BC and regs.

I used to frequently have the same problem returning from trips to Florida. I took care of my rinses once I was home in Pennsylvania. I never rinsed my regulateor under pressure and have never had a problem. I doubt I'm just lucky. Fortunately, now I can rinse my gear daily and do not have that problem.

Best, Craig

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom