Was it airfills?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Before you get your tanks filled after a dive, make sure you crack the valve to blow out any water. Rarely does the dive shop do this so I make sure to do it myself. And sure enough, when I crack the valve I see a bit of water spraying out.

I would think all dive shops would do this to make sure there is still pressure in the tank.

Otherwise they may have to do a visual inspection.

I would think all dive shops would do this to make sure there is still pressure in the tank.

Otherwise they may have to do a visual inspection.

At the places I've been, they hook the tank up to their manifold and read the pressure before opening up their bank. Any water would just flow up the pipe when they read the pressure and then go back into the tank when they fill it.

At the places I've been, they hook the tank up to their manifold and read the pressure before opening up their bank. Any water would just flow up the pipe when they read the pressure and then go back into the tank when they fill it.
I guess I will have to take more ownership before I drop my tanks off and make sure there isn't anything I could have done to prevent this from happening on my end. It isn't cheap getting the tanks tumbled.

Before you get your tanks filled after a dive, make sure you crack the valve to blow out any water. Rarely does the dive shop do this so I make sure to do it myself. And sure enough, when I crack the valve I see a bit of water spraying out.

So how are you assuming the water makes it into your tank? Would the high pressure of the tank be enough alone to keep it out while at depth?

Also where to you usually get fills out of curiosity?

He's saying that after you use a tank there may be residual water in the valve opening. Maybe it dripped in there when you took off your reg, or when you rinsed the tank valve after your dive.

However it got there, if you hook up the mostly empty tank to a fill manifold any water left in the valve opening is going to get sprayed into the tank when the tank is filled. Not a bad idea to crack the valve a little before handing the tank over at the fill station just to blow out any water in the valve.

I usually get fills at Aquarius on Del Monte when I'm in Monterey.

He's saying that after you use a tank there may be residual water in the valve opening. Maybe it dripped in there when you took off your reg, or when you rinsed the tank valve after your dive.

However it got there, if you hook up the mostly empty tank to a fill manifold any water left in the valve opening is going to get sprayed into the tank when the tank is filled. Not a bad idea to crack the valve a little before handing the tank over at the fill station just to blow out any water in the valve.

I usually get fills at Aquarius on Del Monte when I'm in Monterey.

Ahh I see whats being said now. I usually take care of this in a round about way then. I use some air from my tank to dry/clean my dust cap right before I attach it.

Funny thing is I had borrowed a tank from Aquarius II because they havent gotten my tank in yet, and when I got it refilled I did it at Aquarius because thats where ive been filling my HP100. Well the guy that works there said never fill his tanks at Aquarius again because he doesnt trust their air and their compressor practices. Granted if the tank I ordered like 3-4 weeks ago that they ordered over a week ago actually ever came in, it wouldnt be an issue.

I have had saltwater (can see salt crystals) in my tanks. This may be from water on the tank valve during filling. The filler did not crack the valve before filling to blow off the water droplets. Boat fills and perhaps the LDS Monterey Breakwater.

I always crack the valve and blow the water just before I give the tank to the shop for
a fill. Haven't had to have an tumble since. Nobody's responsible for your tanks by
YOU.

b

I always crack the valve and blow the water just before I give the tank to the shop for
a fill. Haven't had to have an tumble since. Nobody's responsible for your tanks by
YOU.

b
Thanks Chuck,
I have not had any problems in the past 10 years, but having to monitor a family's tanks on a live aboard can take some doing. Especially when it is not just the wife and kids, but other divers which may drip or splash water or drop gear before the filler gets to the tanks. It may have been unavoidable to have to pay extra to tumble 2 of the 4 tanks. I always rinse my tanks with the garden hose and also use some of the air before dropping them off for a fill. I have never had problems with water at AWS, Wet Pleasure, Dive N Board, or Nautilus Aquatics. Chuck

I rinse my tanks with fresh water and the valve is dry. I drop my tanks off during lunchtime and pick them up on the way home. I talked to the owner of Dive N Board today and he told me what you said. He only cracks the valve if it is wet. I mentioned about the salt problem that I had and he said that the tanks must have been drain dry in order for saltwater to get in.

The tank can be bone dry on the outside and still have some residual water in the valve, even
several days after diving. If the tank is filled without blowing the valve clear, that water will be
forced into the tank by the compressor, even if the tank starts with several hundred PSI.

Unfortunately, most shops don't crack the valve, so we gotta do it ourselves.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom