Warning: Bad Belize Dive Experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry DD this is not a courtroom. The OP simply stated her experiences on one trip. Why can't you just take it on face value. I believe her. I don't need any defending positions It either happened the way she said or it did not. I believe her

First of all I changed it after consultation with the OP. She offered to change it but since the 24hr. editing window had passed was unable to.

Second as a mod, part of my responsibility is to correct titles when appropriate in order to keep our search indexing as accurate as possible.

In this case, the original title Urgent Warning: Belize led one to believe there's something wrong with the country and not one dive operator.
As this forum is indexed by Google daily, that leads to inaccurate search results worldwide.

Third I assure you that I have better things to do than apply my personal bias to this thread. Until it was reported by another member, I was unaware that it even existed.

Fourth the guy is a woman...

Thank you for your service to the internet, it's now a safer place for your sacrifice and dedication.

Sorry DD this is not a courtroom. The OP simply stated her experiences on one trip. Why can't you just take it on face value. I believe her. I don't need any defending positions It either happened the way she said or it did not. I believe her

Why wouldn't anyone believe her? Half of her described experience correlates with what's become a common description of a typical Belize blue hole dive and the other half correlates with what you typically experience with a bargain dive operation.

These things have been reported many, many times about blue hole dives:

Little to no dive plan or instruction prior to dives
Taking OW divers to 132 ft depths ( one OW diver was doing her first dive)
Absolutely no pairing of dive buddies/ all levels including snorklers were chaotically in the water together

These things are typical of a bargain dive operation anywhere in the world:

Lack of attention to Engine and Boat Maintenence
Instructing 20+ people onto the Fly bridge ( capacity 8 ppl )
Lack of safety / buoyancy devices onboard
All dives were ended prematuraly as little as 20 min. on 1 dive
Leaking tanks due to faulty o-rings ..( not sure if replacements were onboard) jsut to name a few

Reactions: Doc

I haven't expressed an opinion either way - I merely asked some questions and, I felt, added some balance to accusations which suggested a dangerous practice, but which may actually not. I don't take things on face value, as do many people. It is nice to see a diversity of perspectives, which combined, may help present more information for those who need it.

My only interest is in promoting fairness and balance. In the interests of passing readers and for the benefit of the OP and the operation at the center of the accusations.

As you say, it's not a courtroom. The OP is free to post their thread, just as any other member is free to express their opinion on it. That's how free speech works.

in my response to your sarcastic and arrogant note .

On SB? NEVER!

I assumed it was a venue designed for intelligent discussion about diving which might benefit and inform the entire community.
again, on SB?

New people are not treated kindly on SB. It is extremely cliquish and unless you have the right pedigree you are ridiculed no matter what you post. Most people that have high post counts here would shame a 3rd grade girl with the pettiness of their remarks.

---------- Post Merged at 11:49 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:43 AM ----------

Bravo to the OP and/or the Mod for changing the title to more accurately and fairly reflect the thread's subject.

There ya go :wink:

Bravo to the Mod for correcting the poster congratulating the Mod for changing the title to more accurately and fairly reflect the thread's subject :)

First of all I changed it after consultation with the OP. She offered to change it but since the 24hr. editing window had passed was unable to.

So first of all you took all credit for changing everything then you did it with consultation. True colors.

"unless you have the right pedigree"

What constitues the right pedigree? I'm curious about that perception. Pettiness is another a subjective call. I suppose there may be some pettiness scattered among the significant discussions regarding snorkels, masks on foreheads, farting underwater, and the best color for wetsuits.

Are 3rd grade girls more petty than 3rd grade boys?

I can assure you that the operation concerned has seen this thread and does have views on it, but has chosen not to respond. Nothing can be inferred from that.

I can assure you that the operation concerned has seen this thread and does have views on it, but has chosen not to respond. Nothing can be inferred from that.

And why, supposably, could we not infer?

You could argue that that's a sound strategy, whether the allegations are reliable or not. Responding to them just extends the life of the thread. And the thread is like a campaign commercial—it doesn't matter how true it is, it just matters what sticks in readers' minds.

On SB? NEVER!

again, on SB?

New people are not treated kindly on SB. It is extremely cliquish and unless you have the right pedigree you are ridiculed no matter what you post. Most people that have high post counts here would shame a 3rd grade girl with the pettiness of their remarks.

Bullcrap!
People just dont treat people who try to talk bullcrap about SB or promote unsafe diving practices kindly..

DD. agreed. BUT I still say that divers and especially divers on vacation resort dives have to be very careful and hyper vigilant and critical of these yahoo cowboy dive ops who do not take this activity seriously. Here and elsewhere there are pages filled with accident reports about dive ops who were needlessly reckless and people died. I'm tired of hearing complaints about 'ugly Ameticans' who bitch about sloppy dive ops as being hyper critical! Too bad for them. I want to hear the truth. So I can avoid giving them my Yankee money! Onward!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom